Hello from Colorado USA

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
meatblanket

Hello from Colorado USA

Post by meatblanket » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:37 pm

I'm a Land Rover nut that purchased a 1964 Carawagon locally about 10 years ago. I've been lurking on this site for quite a while but I'm now ready to begin some refurbishment.

I don't have much history on this rig but it was local to Colorado for quite a few years, and the previous owner swapped in a V8 engine from an early 60's Oldsmobile. It's the Olds version of the Buick engine that later became the Rover V8. Unfortunately the folding roof needs quite a bit of work and it has been fitted with Dormobile front seating, which I'll probably keep.

Here she is when I had it towed home in 2013:

I haven't done much to it other than get it running and go on a few camping trips, but have decided it's time to make it more useful. I recently purchased a station wagon roof which is on it now while I have the Carawagon roof off for the refurbishment.

Any help you folks can provide will be greatly appreciated. These are scarce in the USA and I have only seen one other. Unfortunately at that time I didn't realize I would someday own one myself, I should have taken a lot of detailed pictures!
RobW

Re: Hello from Colorado USA

Post by RobW » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:17 pm

Looks very nice. Robin's done a couple of roof replacements so will know most of the things that can go wrong....
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:26 pm

Where about in Colorado are you? I spend quite a bit of time there during the summer months working on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. Most often with my Dormobile.

Ian
meatblanket

Post by meatblanket » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:47 pm

I'm in Golden, just west of Denver. I know several Dormie owners in Denver but haven't seen any other Carawagons about. I went to college with a guy that used to do volunteer work (or maybe he still does) at Cumbres and Toltec, his name is Jim Titsworth. Haven't seen him in years......

For the roof project I purchased a set of seals from Rob Maude at LR Optional Equipment. I think I have a source for the 8' long piano hinges, and also for the marine plywood. A set of dimensions or templates/patterns would speed things up but I'll get it figured out eventually!

Mike S