Two batts under pax

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
jock
Info: aussie jock

Two batts under pax

Post by jock » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:08 am

Two batteries on extended trips are a must, running a fridge,lap-top,and lighting ... So with a bit of cutting and welding, I put them under the pasenger seat. To get h/duty batteries in the round edge has to be squared off, which still leaves room for electrics and wireing... The pic's show a defender seatbox, I think the series ones are built square in the beguining...Jock ... :cheers:
Attachments
100_1873small.jpg
100_1872small.jpg
1968 11a dormobile
1964 swb cutwing ex army
1974 lwb station wagon
1977 2 door range rover
RMS

Re: Two batts under pax

Post by RMS » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Jock,

Are you using the two batteries doubled up as auxiliaries, or is one the starter battery?

I would think, in your part of the world, you might be using a decent sized solar panel to help them along.

What fridge are you running? We use Waeco compressor fridges in both of our Carawagons, which just sip current and an Optima yellow top deep cycle battery will run it for a week, even in hot climates (so we're told!).
If you're using a '3 way' absorption fridge, that will be sucking current at around 6-7A (most do) all the time so would run a battery down in hours :stars:

Let us know what your setup is - it's always interesting to see how others cope :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am

Here's the set-up in my Defender, using a Devon 4x4 battery tray and split-charge relay with twin Odyssey batteries under the L/H seat (driver's in my case!)

I also use a Waeco fridge, and can firmly second Robin's recommendation, with the proviso that if they are going to be subjected to knocks or abrasion, it's a good idea to protect the plastic casing with the optional cover. This also improves the insulation even more.

jock
Info: aussie jock

Post by jock » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 am

G'day Guys ,Both batt's are in conjunction with h/duty solenoid . When ignition is turned on, both batt's are starters + both batt's get charged from an 80 amp alt (solenoid just joins batt's togeather). All axillary are run from the second batt... I run an Engle 40 lit two way fridge, it will run for 4 days without starting the vehicle, if stationary for two days or more I plug everything into a small 2 kva gen set and that will charge batt's and run everything, or if in a van park just plug into mains power ... The solenoid system dose not work to well with batt's (like one h/duty and one deep cycle) the start batt gets full charge, but the deep cycle wont get to it's max charge... I have a pic of batt set-up in Dormobile curtains... I might go for the Redarc system next time as I will be towing a camper trailer and that means a third batt :wink: ... Jock
1968 11a dormobile
1964 swb cutwing ex army
1974 lwb station wagon
1977 2 door range rover