Land Rover Ambulance

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
wemnog

Land Rover Ambulance

Post by wemnog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:29 am

Just join the group and looking for advice on kitting out our Land Rover Ambulance. She has a homemade conversion which is looking tired so we are looking for suggestions and advice on how to go about it. We have already replaced the 3.5 petrol engine with a 300tdi and are now looking at the insides.
Are there any rock & roll beds designed for the back?
Any recommendations for professional refitters?
Anyone done a similar project who may have layout suggestions?
All input gratefully accepted
Cheers
Keith & Daryl
Attachments
ambulance.jpg
RMS

Re: Land Rover Ambulance

Post by RMS » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:41 pm

Welcome guys,

That looks like a nice base for a camper :cheers:

There are a few ambulances about which have been converted - from basic beds to full blown campers.

I've often wondered if there's enough room, with careful planning, to fit a toilet/shower cubical in a Marshal ambulance - might get my wife along on a few more outings then!

One thing I wouldn't like though, is the height - If I were doing one I'd probably fit some sort of pop-top like Mark and Cat have on theirs HERE.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi

Rock and roll hinges and other bits, start with http://www.caktanks.com/

As for fitting her out.
1. with Campervans the journey is an important part of the holiday so make it as enjoyable as possible.
2. Land Rovers need to be driven, so a good nights sleep is essential on long trips.
3. space is at a premium and items not stored away will ruin your holiday.
4. Campervans are for traveling and for sleeping, the rest of the time you will be outside so side and rear awnings are essential for an enjoyable holiday.
5. make sure you create a space for the porta potti inside for overnight stops on Aires de Service or other campervan parking areas.

We have a 1970 2a Dormobile which we have taken over the Alps and Atlas Mountains. Am just about to start a rebuild on a 1966 Carawagon, which has lost it's interior. The points above are guiding the rebuild.

Good luck

Cheers Mick
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:46 pm

That looks like a very nice converted body. I'm sure you will make a swell camping unit out of it. Hoping to see it in the flesh one day.

It is difficult to comment on a layout. The back of yours is probable significant different from a standard ambulance body. By the looks of it, it is somewhat extended too, plus all sorts of windows and a real door added.
But like what Mick says, You need to be able to pack everything away for driving and not having to clear the back out to set up camp. I believe that is the key to a pleasant camping experience. That's the very reason I am adapting my Dormobile and creating more smart storage space. I'm trying to keep it in style of the period, i.e 60's 70's style.

I think a rock and roll bed would work well in yours. Maybe it fits side ways?
Don't know about professional outfitters, but half the fun is doing it yourself I think.

Any way, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find enough ideas and advice on here.

Cheers,

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Calum

Post by Calum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Looks a great project!
I always fancied doing a Marshall conversion but then the Carawagon came along so unless I make a mobile workshop out of a Marshall I'll probably never own one... I reckon they are a great base - I like the modified rear doors on yours. As nice as the fully opening rear doors are I reckon your setup is better for a camper.

Please post pics as you continue to do this one - looks great! :cheers:
Travelrover
Info: Dont follow the path, make your own.

Post by Travelrover » Sun May 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi, you have just described my landrover motorhome. Lifting roof, shower, toilet, cooker etc etc. if I can be of any help feel free to contact me.
Regards

Bob