PhilC's Carawagon

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
PhilC

PhilC's Carawagon

Post by PhilC » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi just thought I'd post a few pics and some info for anyone that's interested.

Firstly apologies for the quality of these photos as they were all taken on my phone.

Its a 2.24 4 pot engine which runs quite smoothly - unforutnately the gearbox is not so good.

It's got all the cabinets (not sure if the one at the back drivers side is original though) and includes a stove, a heater, two taps and a hole/inlet in the passenger side read to attach a water bottle to (is this a standard feature??). Unfortunately the gas bottle holders under the drivers seat have been misplaced by one of the many garages it's been in :shrug:

As you can see it's a Limestone(ish) colour (poorly painted) and under this it's a pale green and under that Limestone again - I think the registration document says it's yellow :stars:
Attachments
Front View.jpg
Side View.jpg
Rear View.jpg
Inside.jpg
Peaceand

Re: PhilC's Carawagon

Post by Peaceand » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi Phil,
Thanks for posting pictures, I am very interested as it looks like one of the rare 'Continental' models. I have a very similar one but not in as good condition as yours, so it's very useful to see photos of how it should look.

The second row of cupboards on top of the main cupboards seem to be something they added on vehicles which didn't have the elevating roof, presumably as the work surface there is difficult to access unless standing up?

From the few I've seen, those right hand rear cupboards are probably original. They are missing from mine so I can't say for sure, and of course they could have been something unique the original customer specified.

I don't suppose you have any photos of how the table fits in the middle do you? I can see one bracket on the rear drivers side door.

Cheers,
Patrick

:holly_arrive:
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
PhilC

Post by PhilC » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi Patrick,

What you say about the second row of cupboards makes perfect sense, although they do seem to have been added as an afterthought as the wood and the doors don't seem to be of the same quality as the main cabinet.

Here's a picture of the table in position. There's a couple of hooks/pegs, one on the drivers door and one on the passenger door - a couple of latches on the underside of the table lock onto these; the table leg is just a length of wood that swivels about on a bolt to allow it to fold down.

Hope this makes sense - let me know if you need more detailed pics/info.

Cheers,
Phil
Attachments
Table.jpg
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:31 am

Hi Phil,
That looks good! I think mine did have that middle leg but we couldn't work out what it was for so removed it. The doors had been swapped for station wagon doors so are missing the brackets.

At some point I need to redo a lot of the woodwork, including the table, so I may be asking you more questions then.

Thanks for the info.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)