La Dormobile Bleu

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
AlexB

La Dormobile Bleu

Post by AlexB » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:06 pm

La Dormobile Bleu
A, what seems a long, time ago, I bought an ex military 109 hard top, b’aht engine, with a view to building a pick up so as to compare which would be the most useful on our small holding – an 88 or a 109.
I “won” a galvanised chassis, had the bulkhead repaired, got it to a rolling chassis. Idly flicking through ebay pages and resting on a series 3 Dormobile (in Scotland), my other half (“Saint Esther”) suggested that I purchase said Dormobile and make something useful !
How can one refuse such a suggestion?
Once transported from Braemar to it’s new home, it was apparent that 10 plus years on the Isle of Skye hadn’t been to it’s benefit.

Not thwarted by the enormity of the task ahead, I planned the future; convert the chassis to carry a station wagon, TDI power and an LT77 gearbox, sound proofing and an internal arrangement that was similar to the 1965 base vehicle. John Eastwood was roped in to fabricate and weld.
I decided to drop the engine onto the original 6 pot engine mounts as this meant that the gearlever popped up in the right place and no modifications were needed on the cross members for the propshafts. I used a front prop with a 19mm spacer and had a new rear prop made.
The front end was a challenge as room was a bit tight and resulted in a lot of the rear of the rad panel being removed to accommodate the disco rad and TD5 intercooler with, eventually, an electric fan.
What I had thought was a great way of fixing – using the pins from the radiator into the front panel – is now a nightmare as I have to remove all the front panel to replace the intercooler !
It received new side frames, doors and a coat of paint
Due to the repaired chassis it was an absolute swine to get lined up and fitted – never again!
Finally back home
And wearing an age related plate
Being a series 3, it only has 2 seats in the front
On with the interior
Military door tops were also a must, as was a swing away wheel carrier and adjustable tow bar
And matching curtains!
Table was added later (no photos yet)
Sitting in a pile in one of the bedrooms is a front disc brake kit (zeus) and in the front garden are a set of wolf wheels – waiting for painting before fitting

So, there we have it. As you are probably aware, I am now on with the third version La Dormobile Blanche, which will have most of the refinements listed above, but also power steering. Chassis is on order and bulkhead being repaired as I write. Bitsa Dormobiles aren’t everyone;s cup of tea, but, I don't care, and, overall, I am pleased with the results. As to how long we will keep it – who knows? We have a few trips in the planning stage for 2015 and there is a possibility that the White one might be ready for 2016 and of course, another project might come up .......
Klusenhusen
Info: Building a Dormobile from a 1973 109

Re: La Dormobile Bleu

Post by Klusenhusen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:02 pm

This must have been a massive job, thanks for sharing.
The photos give me an indication as to what I have to do With my Project.
I also have a galvanized pickup chassis, that has to be converted to fit a station wagon, I believe there are quite a bit that needs to be altered.
It will be sorted in the near future. (I hope)
Wishing you all a nice weekend.

Regards Jan
Kind regards
Jan Kulseng-Hanssen
Norway

88 1960 SW
109 1973 to become Dormobile with a personal touch
dudley

Post by dudley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks Alex

Very interesting

Surely mark 3 can not be any better!!!!!

Regards

Phillip :tiphat:
1971 2a 109 diesel station wagon

1971 2a 109 petrol carawagon

And others
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Philip
Esther is very happy with the extra storage space in the cubby box.
It folds back on itself to form part of the bed. Plus, when not driving, she finds the single seat more comfortable than the double bench seat.

I suspect that these seats may have to be transplanted into the White Dormobile

Klusenhausen

Once the chassis was adapted and the bulkhead repaired, it was relatively painless. And, it will be easier for the White Dormobile as I now know what is possible.
Toots

Post by Toots » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Would be very interested to see more of the front seats and how the cubby box works.

My S3 has same seats and can't decide wether to go with them or modify into bench set up.
We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
AntMan232

Post by AntMan232 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:43 pm

The soundproofing looks interesting, out of interest, what did you use for it? I would like to fit some during reassembly of mine, but I have fears of it trapping water and rotting things...

Ant
1965 Series 2A Dormobile
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks for sharing Alex.

It's great to see a project in pictures - I always forget to take them :embarassed:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Marque

Post by Marque » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Alex
Thank you for sharing. I have noticed the evolution of your restoration designs between Green to Blue. I expect White will be even more refined. That said, I am a big fan of what you achieve & how you both use it. Those trip reports are inspirational.

Please do keep up the good work. :gold:

I too am very interested in your sound proofing solution. Could you shed some more light on what you used when your diary permits?

Kindest regards
Mark
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Nearly forgot - thanks for the reminder Marque

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-noise-d ... 58b238ee14

But, getting the timing right is also critical on a tdi, as they do rattle, plus door seals, door cards and carpet / flooring.
Getting older with the subsequent loss of hearing also helps!

Toots, will try to remember to take some pics over the weekend.
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:32 pm

AlexB wrote:
Getting older with the subsequent loss of hearing also helps!
Pardon?

:wink:
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)