Tess

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
martyn

Tess

Post by martyn » Thu May 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi everyone, new to the forum and just thought I would pop a picture up of my project.
Attachments
Here is a picture of my Dormobile when I collected it from Cornwall a year or so ago. Pretty standard but pretty rough too. Rebuild underway for a trip next May...........
Here is a picture of my Dormobile when I collected it from Cornwall a year or so ago. Pretty standard but pretty rough too. Rebuild underway for a trip next May...........
dormobile trailer.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
RMS

Re: Tess

Post by RMS » Thu May 15, 2014 2:32 pm

That looks ready to go, Martyn - a bit of T Cut and polish and off to far-flung places :neener:

What needs doing - is it going to be a re-chassis, or just a 'light' renovation?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
martyn

Post by martyn » Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Well, it is bad enough for Mrs Astley to offer to push it off the trailer for me!

The poor thing is pretty rough to be honest. Needs all doors and the side frames repairing, the rest of the panels have had more hits than the Beatles. The chassis may go again but will need work. I do not think it has run for several years but the engine is free. The interior needs a re-trim and the wiring has more leads than Steve Magarrat on a good day. It has also had a LPG conversion done but the tank was removed so I will be stripping it all off.

My biggest issue was that the bulkhead and front panels have been replaced by S3 ones, although it is still on the S2a chassis. I have just purchased a 1967 88" diesel with all good panels and bulkhead so they will get swapped over. It is a correct 'C' suffix one so has the correct wiper motors, dash etc.

Progress will be: Bulkhead swap, new loom, get it running, decide from there......
Attachments
dormobile del.jpg
dormobile del.jpg (11.61 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
dudley

Post by dudley » Thu May 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi

Great to see another dormobile being
kept on the road,well done.

Is the planned trip in the uk,or are you
venturing further afield.

Take plenty of pictures of the renovation
and post with updates.

Regards

Phillip :tiphat:
1971 2a 109 diesel station wagon

1971 2a 109 petrol carawagon

And others
martyn

Post by martyn » Thu May 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Well, bit of a story with that! I have had the Dormobile a while but it had to wait whilst I did a couple of other projects. I had always planned to use it to drag my GP14 dinghy to Wales for weekends and for Adelle and I to disappear with the dog when we felt like it. It would also be drafted in to tow some historic race cars about, however.........

A dear old RAF friend of mine has decided we are going to Morocco in May next year. We are going to drive through Spain (he has a S2a FFR) and Adelle is going to fly out and meet us in Casablanca. We can then do a couple of weeks in the sand, drop Adelle back at the airport to fly home and then we shall trundle back through Europe.

That's the plan...... it will probably end up being a fortnight in Rhyl!
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

When we 'did' Morocco in 2011, we did something similar.

5 vehicles - 3 Carawagons, 1 Dormobile & one 110 (was supposed to be an 88", but the oil cooler blew the day before we set off), down through France & Spain.

Two of our group flew down to Malaga and we picked them up on the way to Algeciras, two flew in to Marrakesh, one flew back from Marrakesh and four flew back from Malaga :stars:

It certainly helps those folk who aren't totally in love with old Land Rover driving, meaning they just do the Morocco bit leaving the drivers to do the long haul through France and Spain, and for most of us back up North in England.
It also helps those who can't get 5 weeks or so off work :neener:

Good luck with your planning :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)