Kippawagon's Twiggy

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
Kippawagon
Info: Twiggy - 1968 - 109 - 2-berth Carawagon

Re: Kippawagon's Twiggy

Post by Kippawagon » Sat May 31, 2014 7:50 am

Hi Robin

I think I'd be daft NOT to order a set of your poles so could you please count me in on that and I'll work out how and when I'm going to collect and fit them (if you're prepared to store them for me until then, anyway?) Hopefully it won't be too long before I get involved in one of your communal camping trips!!! (Google says I'm a 4 hour drive from Wakefield, assuming I'll be driving at 90mph on motorways. That'll be 2 days in Twiggy, then!).

Have you ever tested exactly how much weight the poles will take? Or does one just find the lightest tarp possible?

Cheers

Kip
Almost completely ignorant - but willing to learn!
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi Kip

I can highly recommend the folk who made our awning. See the post here http://www.rms1.co.uk/lrcc/forum/viewto ... ?f=18&t=53. The Carawagon poles are a great idea and I'm sure they would be happy to make you a copy an original Carawagon awning, if you can get someone to lend you one.

We use our rear awning every night, except when in very warm weather and on a campsite with good facilities. Our rear awning connects with our side awning and give us a good dry/shade area to live in. It is a great setup and makes the Dormobile the best of both worlds. Small enough to drive into the oldest of French villages and big enough to be very comfortable when parked up.

Cheers Mick
Kippawagon
Info: Twiggy - 1968 - 109 - 2-berth Carawagon

Post by Kippawagon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks Mick - that's a beautiful awning; I've bookmarked their website for future reference. What sort of money are you looking at for a bespoke Carawagon extension??? I suspect that sort of quality doesn't come cheap! :tiphat:
Almost completely ignorant - but willing to learn!
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi
We paid £450.00 for our canvas. i had made the poles myself from an old 1970's caravan awning that I had scraped years before. The poles are alloy, but the joints were steel and therefore I knew they would be easy to alter and weld back together.

I wanted the option to have an awning on either side of the vehicle, so both side can be lifted and we also have a full width door on the rear. We can have all of the doors up, with just a corner section left to peg down. The sides are traditional canvas, but the roof is plastic, as are the mud walls. I had these made wide enough to place rocks or sand on. In the sand storm we experienced in the Sahara I covered the mud walls with sand and the awning never moved at all.

Hope this helps

Mick