Kippawagon's Twiggy

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
Kippawagon
Info: Twiggy - 1968 - 109 - 2-berth Carawagon

Re: Kippawagon's Twiggy

Post by Kippawagon » Fri May 23, 2014 11:15 pm

And Calum - I meant to say that I found your story one evening, when I'd Googled images of Carawagons, on some young persons forum (young guns or something?). Really interesting - you certainly took on a bigger project than me; at least mine hadn't been standing 20 years following the passing of her owner! I don't think I inherited as many pots and pans as you did, though :shrug:
Almost completely ignorant - but willing to learn!
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri May 23, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi Kip,

Glad to see you've got the wagon on the road :cheers:

I do like the original Carawagon roof rack - very traditional, though not as practical as Mick's racks.

We replaced all the roof woodwork on Patrick's Carawagon and on mine (also another for a friend and I've got two more sets ready for my two projects).
On mine and Patrick's, and on the sets waiting to go on my projects, I've recreated the wooden racks, though I have made them a little bigger than original - they project about 6" further forward than original.

We also have a big roof box I made for our Morocco trip - big enough to get a portapotti in :whistle:
We take the rails off and fit the box, with extra supports down to the windscreen hinges when we need extra storage.

Would you believe Patrick's Carawagon averaged almost 40mpg over 5000+ miles on the Morocco trip with that box fitted :shrug:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Kippawagon

Post by Kippawagon » Sat May 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Oh those wooden roof racks are lovely. Not having done a trip yet, I don't know how much we're going to want to load on our shorties (probably a lot, if my daughter comes too. And if we take the two dogs....). Someone once told me you get more mileage in hot conditions; what would you normally expect from a 6 pot?
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun May 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Kippawagon wrote:Someone once told me you get more mileage in hot conditions; what would you normally expect from a 6 pot?
Don't think you really want to ask :shakehead:

I get an average of 20mpg from dormy with its 4 pot petrol and that's with a regular tune up. Think you will be lucky to get mid teens at best, but others with a 6 still in their vehicles (and not a TDI) might be along soon to confirm. However driving a petrol, especially a 6 pot, is so much nicer !

Ian
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sun May 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Mine has a Holden 186 motor fitted (3.3 litre) and I get about 14 miles to the gallon if I'm lucky :aaagh: that's if I've done my converting litres to gallons correctly :wink: Our fuel isn't cheap anymore either.
It is a lovely motor and a pleasure to drive which is why I still haven't started my 300tdi conversion. If it wasn't for the huge distances between places over here I'd certainly leave it as it is.
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 am

We swapped Patrick's 6 pot for 200TDi during the restoration, so although we trundled along a lane when we picked it up, and around the garden a bit when manoeuvring, we didn't drive it on the roads so don't know what the mpg would be.

We reckoned on around 14-16mpg, but with the 200TDi returning 35+mpg, it was the sensible choice for a 5000+ mile Morocco trip :wink:

eg. 5000 miles at 15mpg at £6 per gallon = £2000
the same trip at 39mpg (which is what we averaged on that trip) cost £770!
(Robin on S2C forum)
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Mon May 26, 2014 9:17 am

RMS wrote:We reckoned on around 14-16mpg, eg. 5000 miles at 15mpg at £6 per gallon = £2000
Even for lesser trips around the UK you will have to factor in fuel as a significant part of your expenses.

One tip which might help - we use Camping & Caravan Club 'Certificated Sites'. They are small (max 6 pitches) and cheap (£10/12 per night with toilet & shower) and there are lots & lots across the country.

Ian
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue May 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi Kip

I used my Dormobile for about 9 months with the 6 pot fitted, but had to removing it as it was usng nearly as much oil as petrol. Even in the worn state, it did about 18 mpg on long runs with overdrive, but this would drop to 9 mpg on short trips to the shops. They are a lovely engine in the Dormobile and the tdi is just a tractor engine in comparison.

As for the clothes airers? Here is Overlanders old Carawagon with it's original equipment Carawagon roof rack.
This is Big Dave's Carawagon with the copy of the Carawagon rack I made for him.

The Dormobile racks are copies of the original equipment Brownchurch roof racks supplied by Dormobile (they also supplied a short version as well).

They are all very usefull for getting towels and clothes dry. You must have been spying on us when we have been camping?

Cheers Mick
Kippawagon

Post by Kippawagon » Wed May 28, 2014 10:32 pm

"The Dormobile racks are copies of the original equipment Brownchurch roof racks supplied by Dormobile (they also supplied a short version as well)" - (Doh, haven't sussed out how to use the quote thing yet).

Oops - sorry Mick, no offence intended :embarassed: - and there's no question that the racks you have are far more useful than a few wooden slats. I expect I'll be converted after I've tried to stuff all the rubbish 'necessary' for me, my daughter and two dogs into the interior!

I now have another question for you, though - your pictures have illustrated a lovely array of tents/awnings that seem to fit well onto the rear of the wagon - do you have any recommendations as to supplier/make/type/size??? Having the cooker on the rear door I'm keen to extend the 'indoor' space so I don't have to cook in the rain!

Cheers :cheers: Kip
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed May 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Have you seen these posts Kip - the original awning poles/frame is a good start :cheers:

HERE

I'll be taking final orders for these this weekend before ordering the materials - orders received for 9 frames so far :cheers:

I also have an original Carawagon awning, though I never use it - we normally camp in a communal way and use a tarp over the frames.

Patrick's Carawagon has the stove on the rear door as well.

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)