Kippawagon's Twiggy

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
Kippawagon
Info: Twiggy - 1968 - 109 - 2-berth Carawagon

Kippawagon's Twiggy

Post by Kippawagon » Sun May 11, 2014 8:44 am

Twiggy is a 1968 2 berth (109) Carawagon conversion. Apparently, she has a 2.6, 6 cylinder petrol engine (6 pot!), a four speed gear box with overdrive (added later, I believe), freewheeling hubs - and parabolic springs were fitted in November 2009 (does this mean she is no longer leaf sprung?)(Will I be kicked off the Forum?)
Unfortunately, the driver’s original seat has been replaced with something a bit more comfortable, so I may have to explore the possibility of changing that back.
Am attempting to post pictures but they're too enormous. Working on it, but will remember to save a draft of this now!
Bye for now
Kip
Attachments
The picture that had me hooked
The picture that had me hooked
Under cover - somewhat of a relief, considering the amount of rain that followed!
Under cover - somewhat of a relief, considering the amount of rain that followed!
Driven back from Nyewood, still in one piece.
Driven back from Nyewood, still in one piece.
Almost completely ignorant - but willing to learn!
dudley

Re: Kippawagon's Twiggy

Post by dudley » Sun May 11, 2014 9:22 am

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

It's always good to see another
carawagon on the forum.

We always like to see pictures on
here.Most of the shows i go to are
in the midlands and yorkshire,but
maybe we will see you at a show
one day.

Regards

Phillip :tiphat:
1971 2a 109 diesel station wagon

1971 2a 109 petrol carawagon

And others
Kippawagon

Post by Kippawagon » Sun May 11, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks Phillip. Once I've got her started, won a million with my Premium Bonds, bought shares in Shell and given up work (ha ha), the world will be my oyster! Certainly intend to get her out and about whenever possible.

Added another pic of the interior.
Attachments
Carawagon 6 (1024x768).jpg
Last edited by Kippawagon on Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 am

Welcome to the forum and camper ownership.

Like how you park in the garage - best anti-theft method I have seen yet !

Ian
Calum

Post by Calum » Sun May 11, 2014 10:21 am

When I read the intro thread, I thought this had to be the Carawagon you have purchased! Good to see it has gone to a good home, because I really liked this one! Hope to see it in the metal sometime!

Welcome along from another F-reg 6-pot Carawagon owner :cheers:
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun May 11, 2014 11:20 am

Hi again Kip, and thanks for the pictures.

Yes, as Calum says, this one was discussed when it came up for sale - I remember some discussion about the wooden 'letterboxes' above the windscreen :whistle:

Glad to see it went to a good home - it's always good to see them pop up on here after we've seen them for sale - it sort-of completes the circle, if you see what I mean :shrug:

Have you kept the TV in the cabinet?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Kippawagon

Post by Kippawagon » Sun May 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanks everyone - yes, the TV's still there! And the 'letterboxes' - speakers - do you think they're original?

I haven't had a chance to do much since I got her, apart from scrub off some of the mildew (which has since re-grown). I was diagnosed with the big C in December and had to have an op in January, so wasn't up to clambering over the bonnet (which was the only way of getting to the garage door to unlock it) - which is why I haven't even started her up since December. Plus, it kept raining..... Still, I'm all better now and can't wait to get her on the road again.

The previous owners had sort-of called her Carrie, but Marion admitted it hadn't stuck. And all I see when I think of Carrie is Sissy Spacek with blood running down her face! So, my daughter suggested Twiggy and the rest is history. I intend to keep everything just as it is but will inject a bit of femininity in the soft furnishings!

I expect everyone has their own opinion on how original everything should be kept, but what is the general consensus on the driver's seat? Should I try to source an original and replace the velour for something more uncomfortable? The attached pic is the only one I have that shows some of the replacement. Apparently they searched for the original but couldn't find it :shakehead:

Nice to meet you, Calum :cheers: and Ian, I shouldn't admit it but that parking is not as impressive as it looks!
Attachments
Carawagon 34 (1024x768).jpg
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 am

Welcome to the forum Kip :cheers: As Robin said earlier it's nice to see a vehicle turn up again after the sale. It looks to be in great shape and that vintage "Engle Fridge" would probably be worth money here down under :laugh:
I'm all for bringing the vehicle up to date with a few sneaky add ons but keeping the "vintage look", that's what I'm doing with mine regardless of what the rivet counters say.
I too was diagnosed with the big c last year but told them I had too much travelling to do, a land rover to finish and wouldn't give in to it, touch wood it's all gone now but it was scary at the time. Hopefully you are on the mend too and can enjoy your new toy. :tiphat:
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon May 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi Kip

Great looking truck, but needs a roof rack, jerry cans and a tool box. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing it back on the road.

As said above, you are quite a way from some of the shows, but you are only a stones throw from Dover. We love taking our Dormobile to France (and beyond) and will be passing you soon on our next trip.

Robin also mentioned above the Land Rover Series 2 Club. The Club has good number of very knowledgeable and helpful members in your area. I am sure several of them would be happy to help you get your lovely Carawagon back on the road and talk you through the idiocracies of the Series Land Rover. I'm sure Landnut (Frank from New Romney) will post soon and confirm what I have said.

Here is a link to one of our trips into Normandy to hopefully inspire you. http://www.dormobile.org.uk/phpbb/viewt ... f=34&t=731 . Ours (Mick, Lou and William) is the dark green Dormobile and Landynuts (Frank and Karen) is the Blue B reg with the fibreglass roof that goes straight up.

Cheers Mick
http://www.lrbits.co.uk
Kippawagon

Post by Kippawagon » Fri May 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi jerryd - thanks for the message. Am hoping the fridge works but at the moment am completely clueless. Looking forward to meeting up with someone who can talk me through the leisure side of the electrics. Cheers for your words of encouragement from Down Under; like you I have far too much to do to succumb! Hope you stay healthy too :tiphat:

Mick, thanks for the link to your French trip - looks like good fun and a good opportunity to meet other classic campers from other parts of the country (and beyond!). I'm sure I'll add some bling and bits as time goes by, but I'm not too sure about those clothes airers you call roofracks! :shakehead: Perhaps I'm a bit of a traditionalist. It was interesting to see your pics of other vehicles and good to know of others in my area (I know Romney Marsh quite well and it's not too far).

Anyway, after 5 months in the barn I've charged the battery and without too much messing about, got her started. First trip out with the LRS2C will hopefully be Brands Hatch on Sunday 25th May :cheers: