Robin doesn't own every Carawagon.

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
RobW

Re: Robin doesn't own every Carawagon.

Post by RobW » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 am

Definitely need to figure out this for mine - whilst Robin might be OK with a 60" bed I won't! :neener:
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:03 pm

So is your rear bench seat 42" as well Rob?

60" would be a struggle for me as well - though I suppose I could dangle my feet over the front footwells :stars:

I really need to empty mine out and have another look :embarassed:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Not sure, It's slightly over 6ft from the back end of the bench to the dashboard - ie I can just fit and use the dash as a foot rest/pillow.
chippit

Post by chippit » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Robin,

Bench seats are both 54" long with the back cupboards 21" The front seats make up the extra length.
I like the way your table works but I still can't see how mine would have worked as there are only 2 leg fittings one at either end in the middle of the table/cupboard front and no blocks of wood with holes in on the bulkhead. I shall make it work like that though.

Regards Christine
chrisS

Post by chrisS » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi , In answer to your query I am afraid I don't know, On looking at your picts,i see the reg is suffix E which I think is 1967,some years before my time there. I do know there were a couple of Dormobiles that came in with damage roofs replaced with Searle type ,I think this involved changing the complete roof panel as the aperture was a different size between the two types. In your picture It looks a very professional job. Does it lift up from the side with
with canvass in fill ?
Sarles had no facilities for fibre glass work while I was there . But could have used a subcontractor , to make a fibreglass roof would be quite expensive for only a couple of vehicles , By time the plug and the mould was made, Did Dormobile have a patent for their roofs ?
You , seem quite an avid collector and probably know more than I do , Always to willing to try to answer questions but as I said it was along time ago, and when you work somewhere you don't take that much notice as things progress all the time.
Regards Chris
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi Chris

She is definitely a Carawagon. One of only two built on brand new vehicles according to Land Rovers records. She has all the badges and makers plate. She has all the correct cut outs and diamond plate on the inside. Has the correct wing top protectors, Panorama windscreen, bunks and pull out awning bar. The roof goes straight up and is not of the quality of the Dormobile roof. On the inside of the roof, the headlining and the covers of the bunks are all made out of plywood, with piano hinges to allow access to the bunks. This woodwork was carried out by a craftsman. Looks a little tired now, but would have looked great when new. She has lost all her interior and the PO has started to change her to allow rear passenger, sat on forward facing seat like in a 5 door. I have not yet got to the bottom of this yet as soon as she arrived I filled her up with Land Rover spares from other restorations.

The good news is I should have a galvanised chassis here early in the new year and will start the rebuild. The plan is to build her with units made to look like original Carawagon originals, but with a full width bed. As for what to do with the roof, the jury is still out whether to keep the fiberglass or find a standard Carawagon roof?

Cheers Mick