Series 3 Dormobile project

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
Toots

Series 3 Dormobile project

Post by Toots » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Having mentioned I purchased a wreck of a series 3 dormobile I thought a few pics might be in order.
This is what I have to work with. Not sure why seller gaffer taped over reg plate?
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]

Should keep me out of mischief for a while. All dormobile bits are present if somewhat worse for wear and in need of some TLC. most interestingly the seats (2 single ones with a kind of bolster type thing to slot between them and make a bench).
Wardrobe and sink unit all good and roof a bit rough but all moving parts including bunks functioning as should.

Expect plenty questions from me as I go :cheers:
We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
Toots

Re: Series 3 Dormobile project

Post by Toots » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 pm

No pics sadly but now stripped down to rolling (ish) chassis with engine still in place.

Managed to coax the six pot into life this afternoon :nana: . Think I'm gonna keep it :wink:

Can lift engine out and weight in what's left of the chassis (most of it will need sweeping up off the floor :roll: . Bulkhead will be sidelined as the centre section is relatively rot free and is begging to be grafted into a decent 4 pot item. Just happen to have one of those with solid door pillars and top but dodgy footwell :mrgreen:
We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:14 pm

You're a brave man Toots to take on such a project :tiphat:

You should check out Jock's red dormobile on page 2 of member's motors, his started out in a similar condition so it might give you some inspiration :cheers:
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 am

You and Alex? Wow! A little friendly rivalry here? The first to get their Dormie on the road wins....? I salute you both.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Ian
Toots

Post by Toots » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Not sure what happened to pics but some progress has been made. Not as rapid as was hoped but slowly moving forward.

Half decent bulkhead modified to accomodate six pot engine.

Rad panel fettled

Cross members from donor chassis moved for six pot

These and tub supports/bulkhead brackets and lots of other bits waiting sand blast and galvanizing.

Engine was a runner before removing from chassis so a smattering of new gaskets/seals and such like should hopefully now see it right (for a while at least!!)

Axles cleaned and painted and new GB springs waiting in the side lines to go under chassis when its coated in zinc.

Gearbox is a good un but is now in my SWB as it ate one!!

Roof mechanisms all good but "canvas" has been home to a few small rodents. Undecided whether to give it a good dose of cleaning and patch it up or get a new one.

Seats will be a fairly serious undertaking to make good but plan is to re trim them with foam as opposed to springs as I don't think there is a spring left in any of them that i would trust to not break and impale my rear!!

Wardrobe and cooker unit need a good rub down/strip and paint but are perfectly useable.

Just need a lottery win and a year off work and all will be good :mrgreen:
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:45 am

Toots wrote:Just need a lottery win and a year off work and all will be good
The answer to a lot of our prayers !
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:26 am

Progress ! Excellent

Well done.