Zuma

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Zuma

Post by Ian » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:04 am

I've been very remiss in not describing my Dormobile - called Zuma because the number plate contains the letters "ZUM" and Zuma beach wasn't far from where we lived at the time. By a curious coincidence, we ended up living at Zuma beach.
P6050007.JPG
Zuma is a 1962 RHD Dormobile that was imported from the UK around 2003 and ended up in the Pacific Northwest from whence I acquired it in 2005. That, and the epic trip down from Seattle was chronicled in the first trip report. Since then, I have replaced the petrol tank, rear springs and front rear spring hangers, exhaust manifold, distributor, brake pipes and reworked the interior. The truck had been painted on its arrival in the USA, although the preparation was not well done so paint periodically peels in places. I was able to obtain an exact match of the spray paint from a company here in the USA so overall, it looks pretty good.
P1130047.JPG
I have replaced all the interior panels with birch ply and I'm very pleased with the overall effect. The bunk beds got new covers and the inside of the roof was painted white with new glass and seals and that made a big difference.
PA050025.JPG
More pictures coming up...........
Ian

Re: Zuma

Post by Ian » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:35 am

More pictures........
Interior showing new storage unit which contains space for the porta-potty, oil, tools and canned stuff.
Interior showing new storage unit which contains space for the porta-potty, oil, tools and canned stuff.
New mirror on the door of the wardrobe, cooker cleaned and repainted.
New mirror on the door of the wardrobe, cooker cleaned and repainted.
The seats had been recovered prior to my owning the truck, so that was a big job avoided.
It was always my intention to do a rolling restoration as I don't have the patience to do a complete tear-down and rebuild. I need to repair the footwells next as they leak. Fortunately, we don't get much rain around these parts. But for now, I want to take a few longer trips and enjoy the Dormobile experience. So far, its been fun.
Ready for the night, somewhere deep in the Mojave desert, miles from anywhere.
Ready for the night, somewhere deep in the Mojave desert, miles from anywhere.
Cheers. :wine:
Ian
dudley

Post by dudley » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 am

hi

a great looking dormobile

you say you are planning another trip,where
do you intend to go?

is there a series 2 club in your area?

as you can see (below)i have a carawagon
are there any in your area?

regards

phillip
1971 2a 109 diesel station wagon

1971 2a 109 petrol carawagon

And others
DanC

Post by DanC » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Lovely Dormi, they are great!! I love mine even though I spend far too many hours lying under it!!
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
Ian

Post by Ian » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi Phillip,

I live at the west end of Malibu (the cheap end!) and despite having a population of only 16,000, there's several Series trucks around town. Well okay, I own 2 of them - the Dormie plus a 1970 2A LHD Station Wagon that I've had for about 18 years. There are a couple of clubs around Los Angeles which is about 30 miles away, but they tend to cater for coilers and don't like Series trucks because we can't keep up with them on the freeways. Series owners keep in touch via email and user groups and get together occasionally for trips such as this one.
The Old Mojave Road in 2007. My truck in the foreground, TeriAnn Wakeman's Green Rover behind it and James and Kelly's Euro 6-pot in the background.
The Old Mojave Road in 2007. My truck in the foreground, TeriAnn Wakeman's Green Rover behind it and James and Kelly's Euro 6-pot in the background.
The Old Mojave Road is an old wagon trail that runs for 180 miles through the Mojave Desert. Its a 5-day trip for me including the drive out and back to Malibu.
Zuma descending Schnebley Hill into Sedona, Arizona. There's a 1,000ft drop between the trees and the mountain.
Zuma descending Schnebley Hill into Sedona, Arizona. There's a 1,000ft drop between the trees and the mountain.
I think my next trip will be up the coast along Pacific Coast Highway which passes through some gorgeous scenery.
Zuma at Zuma Beach on Pacific Coast Highway.
Zuma at Zuma Beach on Pacific Coast Highway.
And yes Dan, spending quality time with your Dormobile undoubtedly means spending time underneath it!

Cheers,
Ian
Klusenhusen
Info: Building a Dormobile from a 1973 109

Post by Klusenhusen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello

Would it be possible to have some photos of the radio pod fitted to the front roof?
It looks like a sensible design, might be worth copying.

Best regards
Jan
Kind regards
Jan Kulseng-Hanssen
Norway

88 1960 SW
109 1973 to become Dormobile with a personal touch