Our Searle Safari

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
DanC

Re: Our Searle Safari

Post by DanC » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Horses for courses.... Remember, with old LRs weight is the enemy if mpg. Blockboard and water not good at all, neither, water and steel though. It is a personal thing, I like MW, others searle etc. etc.
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 pm

they didn't use chipboard - they used blockboard
Come on - splitting hairs or what?!!

We poor "Johny Foreigners" class these both as 'bois homogéne'. Quality boatbuilders (ie. : other than Searle!) used marine quality ply!
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 am

Please note - this thread has been edited, with some posts removed.

This thread is about Stuey's Carawagon, please try to keep on topic :cheers:

If anyone has any issues with what has been deleted, please feel free to contact me via PM rather than adding to this thread.

Thanks,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:14 pm

I thought we were going to have "pistols at dawn" when I read this thread earlier today, I thought the "carawagon versus dormobile" was just a bit of fun :shrug: Thanks for all the pics Stuey, it's good to see how it all works in a swb. I'm still waiting to see the one that's over here in the flesh. I remember seeing that unit on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Do ... true&rt=nc it's unusual isn't it ??

I must admit I too dislike the "rattling" of metal furniture in my dormobile, in fact it drives me crazy especially when off roading on corrugated forest roads :aaagh: My solution was to build a wardrobe in mdf with aluminium frame made to suit my needs. It's larger than standard and can house a 50 litre waeco fridge, I also keep the table in there and it can still be used for clothes. The other good point is "it doesn't rattle" :woohoo:

The other item that really annoyed me was the "rattling" overhead kitchen cupboard, this too has been replaced with a deeper mdf unit. It looks identical from the front but I can keep 4 dinner plates, 4 side plates, 4 bowls, 4 cups, 4 glasses, cutlery set and various other cooking utensils. It doesn't rattle either :cheers:

Last "rattling" item to solve is the kitchen stove/sink unit :rant: this one really gets top marks in my book. However, I don't want to make an mdf one so I'm making plans to soundproof it and even make a pull out drawer system in it. It will also house a water pump and compressor in the toolbox area in the foot well. I've already made heavy duty lids for this unit and found some decent hinges with no play in the joints. Watch this space :wink:

I'd like to point out that even with modernizing and upgrading the furniture it still looks original, all mdf panels were wet proofed prior to painting so shouldn't be a problem with water. Oops didn't mean to hi jack the thread :whistle:
DanC

Post by DanC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Actually Jerry, you are quite right and sorry for slight thread hijack, I did 100 plus miles in mine today at about 60mph plus, was concerned about the noises from the gearbox until I realised it was the furniture!c

Stuey, I remember the vehicle from Ebay and was well tempted myself at the time, I am glad it went to a good home! I must say I think that the kitchen unit looks the part.... Do the seats still fold down to form a bed and is it big enough for two? Cracking motor though.

Dan
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:14 pm

That's the badger Jerry! We bought it as we needed a quick fix for storage for our trip overseas and that came up at the time and well with me travelling up and down from Blandford every weekend it was a no brainer to pick up for a quick fix.

When I get chance I will make a wooden cabinet more in keeping with the whole Searle thing :cheers:

Dan the seats do indeed fold down to form a bed, it's big enough for two - apparently. However for a more longer less cosier solution the tent goes in the back :roll:
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:49 am

Not having examined Dormobile furniture that closely, I assume it's the doors rattling?

Can you fit the door surrounds with rubber or foam strip to stop the rattling?
Though I suppose anything inside a steel cabinet is bound to rattle if it's in contact with the back or sides :shrug:

Stuey, I think a good compromise for the timber to use would be something like 3/8" ply with 1" x 1" framing where necessary. That way you could stain it or use coloured varnish and I think it would look more-or-less original.

The original blockboard is about 5/8" thick (I can check if you want).

One of my project Carawagons had the original cupboards replaced with a new cabinet, very poorly made, out of melamine faced chipboard :aaagh: with a combined stainless steel caravan sink & cooker unit on top.
Obviously that lot is coming out and being replaced with 'original' style cupboards when I get around to that project.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I think the rattles are caused by cheap hinges and bolts with lots of play in them, the door and lids also rattle due to being not fixed down very well and the grill in the cook top rattles too.

I've tried using velcro tape to help but it seemed to work only on the sink lid. I'm referring to a new unit I purchased but looking at the old one I'm restoring, it seems to be of better quality
DanC

Post by DanC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:25 pm

its my kitchen unit... Martin Walters recommended wrapping the cooker bits for travelling because (on mine at least) they make a racket!! To be fair it is not that bad when you are at 60mph as the rest of the noises drown it out a bit ;)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Rattles!!! Fit a Tdi and you don't have to worry any more. :roll:

Mick