Now a proven long-haul towing Carawagon :)

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
RMS

Now a proven long-haul towing Carawagon :)

Post by RMS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 am

I've just completed two long-haul towing trips with my new Carawagon, and I'm pleased to say that it coped really well, with nothing blowing up or falling off.

The first trip was a couple of weeks ago; home to Ripon (S2C International) with our heavyweight car transporter trailer with just a S2 gearbox & 2.25D engine loaded.
At the International we loaded a new galvanised chassis for another member and, with Patrick as co-driver, took that up to Carlisle where we dropped off the chassis, engine and gearbox.
There we loaded two S3 gearboxes and drove down to Penrith to pick up a 1958 S2 LWB as a base vehicle for my newest new Carawagon, then home.
Total trip 280 miles.

We did notice that we were struggling a little with temperature rising on some of the long hills up the Pennines on the A66, but apart from that it went fine at around 50-55mph.

The next trip is one I've just completed on my own; home to Truro with an almost empty trailer, but with a big roof box, then loaded a full Carawagon body and drove back via Eastnor (for the Land Rover show).
This time I removed the ammo box from in front of the grill and the temperature was a lot more stable and I had more power, so it was obviously blocking enough of the rad and intercooler to make a difference.

Totol for that trip was 760 miles, and this time I worked out the consumption.
33mpg with empty trailer and 29mpg loaded :cheers:

200TDi, 3.54 diffs and overdrive is the way to go guys :wink:

I think I can now say that I feel confident to set off for long trips without anything falling off or blowing up (touch wood!) which is a relief as if you remember, on my very first trip out after the restoration, I blew an oil cooler hose and ended up dumping 6.5l of new oil on the A1 :thud:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Re: Now a proven long-haul towing Carawagon :)

Post by jerryd » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Robin, sounds like you've got it sorted :cheers: I've put stage one V8 complete axles in mine and already have the overdrive fitted. Just waiting to drop the 300 tdi into it. I must say I prefer the bigger front brakes that the stage one axle gives, they really work well.

With regards to the reliability factor here's a little tale..........I've been in contact with a couple from the uk who shipped out their 300tdi converted Series IIa to Australia to do the big lap. The conversion was completed literally before it was put in a container and had only been road tested for 50 miles. They said they would get in touch when they were round my side of Australia to talk land rovers and 300tdi conversions :whistle:
Well 15 months went by and I thought they'd forgotten and had long gone home, then out of the blue last week I got a phone call to say they were on their way over :stars:

Well we met up and had a great chat, it turns out that they've covered 27,000 kilometres over here and it hasn't missed a beat :gold: The only problems they encountered was on the corrugated tracks where the rear chassis suspension mount broke off and a few steering problems. Chassis was repaired for $200 and seems to have held up for the rest of their trip.
They return to england in a few weeks time and their land rover gets shipped back next week, he's going to rebuild it with a new chassis and they will return to oz in 2015 for another trip.

I'm wondering if in the two weeks they are here with no car, I could persuade them to help with another conversion :wine:

Here's a couple of pics of Colin + Rose and their land rover
Attachments
Photo0798.jpg
Photo0797.jpg
Photo0796.jpg
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Jerry,

The Carawagon already has 6 pot brakes (11" x 3") to cope with the extra weight and stops it really well. I think they are the same brakes as the stage one :shrug:

Colin & Rose's trip sounds wonderful - perhaps I could persuade my good wife to contemplate a trip like that in the future - we might have three Carawagons to choose from :gold:

If you are still in contact with them, perhaps you could point them in the direction of this forum for a trip report, or the Series2Club forum? I'm sure they would be an inspiration for those who think 50 miles to a show is long-haul :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 pm

I've already suggested they join LRCC but they don't seem interested in forums :shrug: More important things to do on their rover !!
They did say they were amazed by the distances over here and how remote it can be at times :cactus:

My front brakes are the same as yours 11" x 3"