My Dormobiles

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
flyingant

My Dormobiles

Post by flyingant » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:32 pm

This was my first Dormobile - 1969 2A 6 cylinder, owned 1993 - 2002.

Now replaced by this 2002 TD5 Dormobile factory conversion.

Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Re: My Dormobiles

Post by Dormy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Both look good, do you know what has happened to the 2A in the last 10 years ?

Thats quite an expansion on the back of the 110 - were you sleeping in the dormobile or the tent ?
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 pm

I sold the 2A in 2002 to a Dutch so-called 'collector'. Then a few years ago, it turned up on e-bay in California! It wasn't sold, and has dropped off the radar now. I still regret it, but the TD5' s refinement, economy and especially it's long range for expeditions, compensate a bit!

Yes, the Navigator awning is somewhat spacious - though that angle exaggerates the size! We sleep in the Dormie and use the awning for storage and living space - we usually have a large dog with us! Here's a better view.

Spider

Post by Spider » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:52 am

They both look great, love the Series looks but is the 110 more usefully?
As I was going to put my Dormobile roof on the 110 until the IIa is ready. What seats does the 110 have in it, do they make one big bed.
So which is better?
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Spider wrote: So which is better?
Impossible question - how do you qualify better? The problems with the 2A 6 cylinder were running costs, spares availability, and range for expeditions. The 110 is far more practical: with a Swiss engine modification, the TD5 gives nearly 200 bhp & 500nm, plus around 45 mpg, and is perfectly capable of being used as a daily driver. The 2A had better camping facilities, the 110 has the standard Defender seats, and I miss the superb Dormatic set up with the capacity to form a double bed, to group around the table, and the wardrobe. However, the 110 has under-floor water and fuel tanks, and the modern Dormobile stainless steel kitchen unit is superb. As they say, " Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice."

Go ahead, and put the Dormobile roof on the 110 - but I doubt you'll want to change it back again .....!!