Margaret - my 88" camper conversion (of sorts)

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
samc88

Margaret - my 88" camper conversion (of sorts)

Post by samc88 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Right then, this is my 88" series 3 which I have been progressively sorting out for the last few years. The plan is to have it as a sort of sall camper with bed, cooker and awning. The cooker will be mounted on a fold down table off the back door. This will be made of wood with a stainless top. The bed is a fold up cap bed, the one in the photo below. Its on blocks but I will be making proper supports, for now Im making wooden ones to get me going but eventually I'll make aluminium ones in work. The blocks in the photo were only to get the to get the right height. Ive sourced an awning from RMS which I shall be picking up and hopefully fitting at leafers but I may have to re-locate my rear work light first.

I also have a late aeroparts capstan winch to go on. Inside I have a radio, CB and speakers as well as 3 12v charge points so I can have a small fridge if required. I intend to add a fourth at some stage so I have 2 in the front, enabling me to have a satnav on the go as well as charge my phone whilst using the aux cord for the radio. It also requires painting again as annoyingly its now 2 shades of blue after I fitted replacement wings this year after suffering a slight case of tractor rash last year
RMS

Re: Margaret - my 88" camper conversion (of sorts)

Post by RMS » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:40 pm

Very nice Sam :cheers:

Looking forward to drilling holes in the back at t'Pit :neener:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
samc88

Post by samc88 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Ive managed to blag use of one of the cordless drills and drill bits from work ready for the weekend haha!

Also there should be some spring related activity in this thread this weekend (getting my new parabolics delivered Friday from GB) so hopefully should sort out my starboard list and stop it going bang when turning corners
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:05 pm

Good luck Sam.

Keep us posted.

I shall have some transparent material available at the pit for awning sides etc.

Chin chin
To infirmary and beyond!
samc88

Post by samc88 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:30 pm

My springs and u-bolts have arrived! Just waiting on chassis bushes which should be here from Paddocks on Saturday and then the fun and games can begin. Also ordered a litre of buzzweld satin black chassis in one coating which is good stuff apparantly. Got a couple of bits of chipped paint underneath which has led to bit of surface rust coing through. Might as well sort that out whilst the springs are off
samc88

Post by samc88 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Made a start today on the offside rear spring which was the worst for sagging and making fuynny noises when going around corners, all the bushes have completely gone, the chassis bush came out no bother when we cut it and collapsed it but the new one was tight to go in. Haven't got a completed pic yet but I've got a few here to show you what I've been up to, I'll do more of a step by step one when I do the next spring.

The new bush drawn into the chassis

The new spring

samc88

Post by samc88 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Set up for doing the pre-load on the bushes. Just doing the one spring has resulted in sorting out my lean (was 3" down on the drivers side, just got the other 3 to do now

samc88

Post by samc88 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Sorry for not keeping yourselves updated but thanks to Robin at leafers I now have a rear awning.Will get pics soon. I first have to finish it off by remaking my piece of trim I had to cut aove the rear door to fit the awning (I took it off so I didnt holesaw through my wiring loom for the spot lights!)

Few other little jobs I want to do, namely being fuel filter change, modify the air filter from a 90 (2.5 NA) to replace the oil bath (should make it a little quieter due to the baffles and hopefully be less restrictive. I also want to add more soundproofing, an extra 12V charge point in the front as well as possibly converting to the 90 cable throttle (Less points to wear out!)

Will get pics in the next few days,
Cheers
Sam
samc88

Post by samc88 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Been fiddling with the brake servo tonight, the one that was on it had the pushrod come loose so it was doing funny things to the pedal (pedal was jammed solid to the topand brakes started binding), pulled brake toweroff and swapped servo for a new one and all is good again

I have also got around to finally properly fitting my £100 aeroparts winch which Im happy with, I just have to fabup some drive shaft support brackets. I have had it working by winding it with an electric drill and I can report it runs nice (if a little noisy due to still being on the origina bearings, replacing them is a job for when I can afford new ones) The number plate is a little in the way but I'll sort that when I fit the new number plates.

gossamer

Post by gossamer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 pm

Looking goood, Sam.
To infirmary and beyond!