1963 Dormobile.........

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

1963 Dormobile.........

Post by jerryd » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:06 pm

I recently purchased another dormobile sight unseen :banghead: I was pipped at the post by $20 but a few weeks later got offered the vehicle again, supposedly because shipping was too expensive. However I'm convinced now he saw how rotten the vehicle was and opted out !!
It's slightly different to the normal I think, the roof has an extra large window where the vent should be, no cooker unit was ever fitted but a seat in it's place, so no gas bottle cage under seat.The wardrobe and one bunk are missing.It seems it was originally fitted with a diesel motor, but now sports a holden motor.
The gearbox was stuffed, but on closer examination it had not one drop of oil in it .This could have been an oversight by the garage who fitted the motor, a couple of hundred of kilometres later it stopped working !!

Rust has eaten the door bottoms, sill rails, rear cross member, petrol tank, front of chassis rails and the bulkhead :thud: The good news is that the seats are intact and working :cheers:

I was going to scrap it but a mate has jumped on board and between us we are going to refurbish it and try and get some money back on it. We've sorted out the rear cross member (had a new spare ) fitted new sill rails, overhauled a gearbox ready for fitting and found some half decent doors. I'm now pondering whether I can turn a new galvanised series 3 bulkhead into a series 2a bulkhead :stars:

No pics at present as I've been having lots of computer problems, will post some when available.
DrivingDutchman

Re: 1963 Dormobile.........

Post by DrivingDutchman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Sounds like a remarkable find Jerry.
Can't wait to see some piccies...

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...