My Fleet

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
Rangie

My Fleet

Post by Rangie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:54 pm

This is the set-up that started it all, I built it in my 110 out of necessity to do a trip but I made sure all the measurements were spot-on to fit into the 109 on the same mounting points :mrgreen: (the 110 was a stopgap while the 109 was being extensively rebuilt)

Folded away

One berth folded down, double available!

My daily truck, on a 50-mile excursion trying to find a Maestro Van (don't ask), the fold down beds bolt in in 20 mins ready for use!

Ambucamper at Point of Stoer 2010, Mk2 Interior :mrgreen:

Ambu at Brough of Birsay, Orkney 2010

Ambu halfway up Glen Loth, 2011

Ambu at Skerray Bay two days ago! :mrgreen:

If you see me trundling about, give me a wave! :grin:
Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
RMS

Re: My Fleet

Post by RMS » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice job Alec :cheers:

Do you have any pics of the inside of the ambulance? Has that been stripped out and converted, or are you using the stretchers for sleeping?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Well, you see, this puts me on the horns of a dilemma! :-|
I have, like most other camper builders, spent long sleepless nights coming up with the interior that suits me and my needs. I am reluctant to post many pictures due to people in the past using/copying, also my pictures appearing on other sites/areas. However, I will post a few with a couple of watermarks to try and limit things.

I got the Ambu a few years ago from Blanchards. I searched their stock until I found a good one (for what I wanted). Partially stripped interior with an excellent chassis, engine/box and a good bulkhead. It looked rough as guts but I knew what was underneath!

First stage was to get it fettled, MOTd and registered. This was no problems, I needed a pair of wheel cylinders (seized), one pair of brake shoes (contaminated), a pane of door glass, lots of electrical fettling and a damn good service/stripdown of certain areas to make sure they were fine. Areas such as swivel hubs, top off gearbox, sump off TX box and change the UJs.
Well, it had lain dormant for 12 years, had to make sure there was no rust/pickup in the gears....
I fitted an overdrive as a matter of course, and 31/10.50 wheels/tyres to improve the cornering! Don't mention the body-roll.....

I then started on the interior.....

Mk1 Interior, I stripped all of the remaining equipment out of the rear and installed two sleeping platforms. I also found a set of caravan cushions that fitted in nicely! I believe they were from an early 80s Sprite! This ultra basic system was only used for one long 4-day trip a couple of day-trips, it was tweaked after about 3 months into...

Mk2 Interior, kitchen/storage area along with my first version of the double-bed arrangement. This system worked very well indeed but lacked organised space. I then agonised for about a year, thinking, sketching, seeking out storage boxes and sizing everything meticulously. Listing what was required, what was would-be-nice and coming up with a gas and electrical distribution system. Coming up with...

Mk3 Interior, dedicated kitchen and storage areas, water carrier and pump. Gas locker/regulator and distribution manifold (cooker, propane heater, external take off for stoves/BBQs). Upgraded double bed system, plenty of tie-down loops for the cushions and extra loops here and there for tying them up out the way when using the single-berth :mrgreen:

So that's about it...... Oh and the colour, there's plenty of green army Land Rovers out there and I've always been a sucker for grey, I think it suits older vehicles..... :nana1:

I will get round to fitting the heater system, split charger, roofrack and awnings at some point, until then I'll just enjoy using it.. :cheers:

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
smirf
Info: carawagon

Post by smirf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Very well thought out, very impressed :tiphat:
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Very nice Alec :cheers:

I'd love to get my hands on one of those, but I'm pretty sure they would be non existent over here.
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:57 am

Very nice - looking forward to seeing it at some shows :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
sparky

Post by sparky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:41 pm

HI Alec,

You ambulance is looking super, I have a quick question regarding painting the body.

Did you take it back to bare metal then paint or did you just try to even out the many layers of nato that were peeling off before painting her?

Also was it a DIY job with a brush and roller or did you spray her?

I ask as although I like the rough look that mine has my other half does not like being out and about in a motor that looks like it has spent 20 years in a hedge (I call it authentic!), as your looks so good I just wondered how far you went prepping her before paint.

Kind regards,
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:30 pm

G'day matey, i must say i like the pictures of your interiors of your trucks and wish i could just put up pictures of mine of the inside let alone the ideas i come up with from that space in my head called a brain :stars: .

I draw no plans and just work out as i go to fit what i have available due to throwing nothing away :embarassed: this ranges from a battery charger using a bike wheel dynamo and regulator outside shower althouigh only warmed by the sun and the pressure of the water is only due to the weight of water stored in the header tank on the roof and it is better than just a wash :wink: .

All my panel work and wall boarding came from a skip just round the corner from where i lived the towbar was made up from one of my beds from my younger days when i lived with my parents and believe me that is a very long time ago but it welded fine considering bed iron was thought to be made from rough metals of all different kinds.

I will learn to put up pictures for all to see in either my 88 109 or ambulance as a few pictures speak a thousand words and the fact i have another 2a ambulance to fit out as a camper i have the parts to do it in a very different way when i get time :laugh: .

My ambulance had nine coates of paint and i rubbed it down by hand took it up to my mates paint shop took off the wheels and ran it in the spray booth on old drums a couple of good coats of primer filler and twin packed it in blue the biggest job being the masking off.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .