Trial by Jury

Please post your photos and descriptions of your Carawagon, Dormobile or Camper here.
gossamer

Trial by Jury

Post by gossamer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:13 pm

Ladies and gentlemen of the Forum.

I have a question to ask you which will be included within this post.

I will have to start with admission that I have purchased a Land Rover with the Debille's Suspension.

It is a 1989 110 with a 300Tdi and an auto box.

The vehicle is to replace my long serving Ford LWB Hi Top Transit for work as, in the first place, it is going orange around the gills and in the second place my business needs have changed and I dont need that kind of capacity anymore.

Admittedly the 'new' Land Rover is coil sprung and hideously modern but, in its favour it has the following features;

Solar Charger
Expedition Water Tank
3 Way Fridge
Sink
Cooker
Cupboards
Electric Hookup
Inverter
Shower.

Given that the Defender, 110 is now no longer in production on these shores, does this vehicle count as a classic camper?

I await your responses.

Also, was there a dormobile/carawagon roof evr available for a 110 or could I fit a proper screen from a series vehicle and procure a 109 roof to allow extra head room?

Best wishes

Gossamer Counter Rivet
To infirmary and beyond!
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Re: Trial by Jury

Post by Dormy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:42 pm

If a vehicle is 26 years old and doesn't count as a classic it must be pretty close.

Does it count as a classic camper ? If you can sleep in it then probably, and you can sleep in the back of almost any LWB !

Dormobile are still converting 110s and will do just the roof, so no need to fit a series screen. Camperhus do a version hinged at the front rather than the side. Alternatively, there is another manufacturer (but I've forgotten the name) who make a camper conversion on 110s which elevates the vehicles existing roof. This has the advantage of giving full height over the full length of the cab and uses folding panels rather than a pvc concertina.

You will need to save many pennies for any of the above. A roof might pop up (scuse the pun) on ebay etc. which you could swap yourself ?

Ian
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 am

Dormy wrote:If a vehicle is 26 years old and doesn't count as a classic it must be pretty close.

Does it count as a classic camper ? If you can sleep in it then probably, and you can sleep in the back of almost any LWB !

Dormobile are still converting 110s and will do just the roof, so no need to fit a series screen. Camperhus do a version hinged at the front rather than the side. Alternatively, there is another manufacturer (but I've forgotten the name) who make a camper conversion on 110s which elevates the vehicles existing roof. This has the advantage of giving full height over the full length of the cab and uses folding panels rather than a pvc concertina.

You will need to save many pennies for any of the above. A roof might pop up (scuse the pun) on ebay etc. which you could swap yourself ?

Ian
Please alert me to anything which will augment this vehicle.
I have agood feeling about it, though it's purchase is tinged with guilt because I can only just justify it and less than just afford it.

It was so quirky, I could not let it go.

Yes, I could kip in it but also I can make tea with fresh milk and wash last night's kebab off (in the car park) before doing myself a fryup and charge the sat nav from the sun.

It must be nearly a classic and in many ways, better than the Premier Inn I am staying in now. At least I would know where I was when I woke up..

It may be interesting to learn that I have seen no sign of Lenny Henry.

Gnight
To infirmary and beyond!
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 pm

I got the 110 home (at last) over the weekend and had a chance to play with some of teh equipment.

The fridge seems to run on gas and mains, don't know about the 12v yet.

The hob lights up and makes tea.

The leisure battery set up is a bit odd and needs looking at, I dont know if the solar panel is charging at all.

The overland water talk and water heating system are a mystery to me.

I shall post pictures when I get a chance and maybe some of you clever chaps on here might advise how to operate it.

TTFN
To infirmary and beyond!
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:38 pm

My last 110 (1985 ex police) was converted by Dormobile (roof and 2 bunks) for a smigeon under £3k.

Was on here for sale a few months ago. It can be done. The bunks were a pita to get in and out of so when a 109 came up, it was no contest
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks Alex.

I will keep an eye out for upgrades but I mustn't lose sight of the fact that my justification for the purchase is that this will be my main works 'van'.

THe LWB HiTop transit will be for sale once it has an mot, hopefully on Monday.

I still haven't worked out how to get the water to run neither have I checked if the solar panel (cracked) is charging.

I'm rather short of fiddling time when it isnt either dark or chucking it down.

Cheers chaps

:wine:
To infirmary and beyond!