Hello from California

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
Stricklen
Info: 109" US Carawagon

Hello from California

Post by Stricklen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:57 pm

Hello all!
This is Richard from California. I have got my hands on what I found out is a 1967 109" Carawagon. It had been sitting for some time but the California climate is kind to old cars. It has a 2.25L diesel and it is not that common in the states so has been a bit of a hunt for some of the parts. The engine had some odd parts on it as you can see in the pics. I found out the exhaust and oil pan were from a marine version of the 2.25L. It is like a big puzzle. Started in on it with all mechanical systems to get it running. So far so good. I could rebuild most of what I found. Done with the Brakes,Clutch,Cooling system, fuel system, working on the electrical and seats now. Removing 50 yrs of experimental wiring from past owners. everything in the back had been removed and as I look around it seams like each truck was unique so I am free to build it back as I wish. My next job will be the pop-up roof. I have the seals on order and will fabricate new wood sections. I do have questions for anyone that have done this before. Any tips would be appreciated but I'm most interested in how to safely remove the old rivets and piano hinge with out damaging the aluminum roof panel. Enjoy the pics! FYI the guy in the photo is the old owner not me!
Attachments
00X0X_k0e28O5WrVb_1200x900.jpg
00o0o_eW5lfv5CD4x_1200x900.jpg
CAM00341.jpg
CAM00340.jpg
CAM00337.jpg
CAM00336.jpg
CAM00201.jpg
CAM00179.jpg
CAM00176.jpg
CAM00174.jpg
20160802_132913.jpg
00909_eIQnFsZoNc_1200x900.jpg
gossamer

Re: Hello from California

Post by gossamer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Welcome, Sir, amd good luck with your new obsession.

:cheers:

You made a nice job of that seat cover.
To infirmary and beyond!
Stricklen

Post by Stricklen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks for the compliment on the seat. My daughter could not believe I knew how to sew. She laughed as I pulled out and dusted off my 30yr old all metal sewing machine.
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Happiness is a warm machine.

I have secured a place in Tewkesbury to work on larger pieces of canvas so I can now tackle awnings and sew (sic) on.

I just need a machine with a longer arm I guess.
To infirmary and beyond!
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi, that's a nice project a long way from its original home :cheers:

As you say, they were all bespoke so you can do what you want with the inside.
However, to get the same look/feel of the original Carawagon, you can use ply or block board with mahogany trim on the edges, and either covered in 1960's pale grey or white Formica or varnished.

There should be plenty of pictures of Carawagon interiors on the forum, so you should get some ideas.

To answer your question about removing the rivets, we've done several roofs and there's not much alternative to drilling them out or grinding the tops off, carefully!
You should find, if they haven't been replaced in the past, that they are closed end rivets, which means they are left with the steel 'pin' inside and so can't be taken off with a chisel like you can with all aluminium rivets.

If you take out all of the screws that haven't already fallen out, you can lay the roof panel upside down on the ground and if you lay the hinge on a length of timber, you can drill out the rivets from the hinge side.
Or, lay it right side up and use a grinder with a slitting disk to take the top off each rivet.
We've used both methods and the slitting disk was a lot faster and easier though you do have to be very careful not to catch the alloy roof panel.

If you are using the old timbers as patterns, try to get exactly the same thickness as there is very little tolerance when you are trying to fit it and make it fold and lift properly.

A roof with new timber certainly makes a nice spectacle :cheers:

Hope you have fun restoring it, and please come back with progress reports and any questions you might have.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Stricklen

Post by Stricklen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:59 am

Thanks for the tips Robin.
Yes the rivets are the close ended type so they may have the steel pull head in them.
My timber is rotted and split. What size is it stock? looks like two different thicknesses.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Hello Richard and welcome! Where about in California are you based? I think that makes two of us on this list in California! Good luck with your project!

Ian
Stricklen

Post by Stricklen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:43 pm

I am just west of the antelope Valley. How about you?
Richard
RMS

Post by RMS » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:02 am

Stricklen wrote:Thanks for the tips Robin.
Yes the rivets are the close ended type so they may have the steel pull head in them.
My timber is rotted and split. What size is it stock? looks like two different thicknesses.
As far as I remember the sides are 3/8" and the ends 1/2", though I think at least one of mine was all 3/8".

It could be that Searle changed their stock over the years, either to save weight or cost by using the thinner ply, or a previous owner replaced the wood many years ago :shrug:

I suspect once you remove the old wood you should be able to find enough good sections to measure, even if it means cutting through a piece to get to a good bit in the middle.

Of course, you can use any thickness, but you then have to allow for the difference with the sides as the hinges are on opposite sides of that piece, so an 1/8" difference in thickness will throw the whole lifting and folding process out.

I usually have to trial fit a couple of times and trim the ends to make it work properly, and that's with using the same thickness as original and using the old pieces as patterns, that's how tight the tolerances are :stars:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi Richard,

I'm at the west end of Zuma beach at the cheap end of Malibu(!). Which in California terms, makes us next-door neighbors. I usually head up through the Antelope Valley and along the Old Sierra Highway on my way to points east a couple of times a year, usually ending up on Route 66 for the most part. Sorry I can't help you much with Carawagon specifics (well, except for sympathy) as I have a Dormobile, but if I can help with anything else, let me know.

Best regards,
Ian