Hi from Cumbria

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
RedStormsson

Hi from Cumbria

Post by RedStormsson » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,
my first post so I thought that I ought to introduce myself. I am the proud owner of a 1971 Series III Carawagon, now completely in bits waiting for the rebuild on a brand new Richards Galv Chassis. I bought 'Opal' twenty-two months ago and swiftly realised that I wasn't going to use her anytime soon; chassis poorly repaired, including a Defender bulkhead support replacing a Series part (???) and a crossmember that looked fine from below but was structurally unattached on tub removal! Work and weather (no workshop) means that the rebuild is sporadic to say the least but it is progressing slowly, the target is to have her ready by June 2017.
I have a fair background with Land Rover, 'Opal' is number nine spanning forty years but I'm no expert. I did think of creating a blog type thingy about the rebuild but it's been done 'ad nauseam' so I won't bother. However I welcome any 'tips and tricks' regarding the rebuild, excluding the usual obvious things like 'always have lots of beer available', 'buy your elastoplast in bulk' and 'don't let the dog lick your face when you're lying on the floor'. I've explained to Mrs. Stormsson that we will have to live in the Carawagon when it's finished 'cos all our money will be gone. She is warmishly enthusiastic about this based on promises of trips to places outlandish on completion. I did however point out that she won't have any more grass to mow when the house is repossessed and this has made her very enthusiastic about the rebuild. At the current rate of appreciation of tidy Carawagons/Dormobiles I think that the kid's inheritance will perform far better invested in a Carawagon than property anyway.
Thank you all for a fantastic site; it provides real support for Land Rover Camper sufferers. 'My name is Red and I'm a Land Roverholic'.
Kind Regards,
Red.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Re: Hi from Cumbria

Post by Ian » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:55 pm

Welcome and good luck with the restoration! Keeping my fingers crossed for warm, dry weather for your rebuild! I work on my Dormobile outdoors but then I live in sunny California.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi Red

Welcome. it's healthy working outside. My rebuild took two years working outside, but it was worth it. We have now had 7 years of holiday and have two trips to Europe planned this year, plus weekends away.

Attached is a shot of last year on the west coast of France. A Dormobile, not a Carawagon, but I do have a Carawagon. Which I am hoping to have on the road for this time next year.

best of luck

Cheers Mick
Attachments
IMG_20150820_160442.jpg
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi Red, and welcome to you and your 'new' Carawagon :hello:

Although I have a couple of garages, (end to end), I too do my restorations and work outside as the garages are full of parts and kit!!

Do you have any pictures of yours?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:39 pm

hi and welcome... :cheers:
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:17 am

Hi and welcome

Not so many series 3 dormobiles about. DOes it have the front single seats or a bench and drivers (a la Series 2a) ?
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:49 pm

Welcome from Derby
To infirmary and beyond!
RedStormsson

Post by RedStormsson » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks all for your kind welcome! I was going to put a picture of 'Opal' up in the member's motors section but I don't think that anyone would be interested in what looks like a shiny new chassis and a pile of scrap. However, I have found a picture of her as a 'barn find' so I'll have a go at posting that when I get back to Blighty in a weeks time. TTFN