Hi to all

Welcome & new forum members - Please introduce yourself & your motor here.
grumpycolin

Hi to all

Post by grumpycolin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:32 pm

This is the first time I have joined an online club/forum, I'm a bit of a technophobe.
I must be mad as I have just purchased a dormobile roof of which I am fitting myself!!!! to my Series 109, any advice very welcome. I have instructions for the fitting but no diagrams to help me.
Thanks to Mikael for letting me dissect his camper for inspiration.

Colin
RMS

Re: Hi to all

Post by RMS » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Welcome Colin :hello:

There's quite a few with Dormobiles on here - I'm sure they will pop in to give advice.

Nothing mad about fitting the roof - just grab an angle grinder and cut away :whistle: after the old adage, of course, measure twice and cut once!

I'm sure you'll be pleased with it - a lift up roof makes a huge difference to the feel of a camper - as JH on here says, it's great to be able to stand up to pull your trousers on :laugh:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:44 pm

G'day matey and welcome to the forum :wine:, my 24 volter 109 was all done and ready for a paint job when a member on the Lincs Landrover club gave me mine but it really was worse for ware and the lift up window had been cut off :shrug: i don't know but it was free so i thought myself lucky :shakehead: .

I washed mine down while on the floor then when a hot day had been on it i took my old roof off forgetting i had an air ratchet :banghead: but then that's just me doing things the hard way so nothing new there :embarassed: but with it being a warm day there were quite a few walking past my house going to the pub two of hum i collared to lift it on for me which made them sweat and swear but they could have said no but i guess that was down to the pitiful look on my face :whistle: .

Man that roof was heavy but with better second hand seals and the nuts bolts and washers cleaned up i soon had it bolted up again forgetting about my air ratchet :laugh: anyway when the sun got to it's hottest the next day it had to be done in stages so as not to rip it anymore than it already was.

I left it up for a few days and fixed a broken ram and gave it a better clean ready for when i patch a few corners and fix a couple of supports i also cut some alloy the size of that rather long hole bolted it in place while i did a temporary fix till i got moved and could do a bit of fiber classing but funds were low and my late father was it so that's as far as i got.

I hope yours is in better condition than mine because to be honest i could do with a new Bellows and that price is far from what i can comfortably afford so i guess i will be doing something else with mine but as to what i don't know until the time comes and that might be a while yet.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi Colin and welcome to the forum.

Where about are you ? There may be a Dormobile owner within reasonable travel where you can take measurements etc. I am assuming from what you posted that you have the fibreglass roof to fit into your existing 109's roof and not the complete thing ?

Regards
Ian
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum. Where about in the country are you? Dormobiles are great. happy to help where we can.

Here we are having fun in France a couple of years ago.

Cheers Mick
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Hi Colin and welcome. Glad you found your way onto this forum.
Good to see you today for taking the measurements and pics you were after.
Like I said and has been said above, if you need any advise or tips fitting your roof, just ask away here. :gold:

Cheers,

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi
What have you bought ?

Is it a complete 109 roof with Dormobile roof or just the Dormobile fibreglass bit?

There is a frame that fits into the hole cut into the 109 roof - do you have that?

Regards
Alex
grumpycolin

Post by grumpycolin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:01 am

Thanks to all for your interest. We live in Rothwell Northants and have a 1967 109 ex MOD and in true Land Rover form it is nowhere near original as it started out as a 24v petrol FFR and is now 12v diesel i also fitted a s111 front end to be able to accommodate the intercooler for the 300tdi engine that its now running. Other mods included boarding out the rear to have a sleeping area, problem was not much headroom, its not easy getting dressed with about 6ins of headroom hence upgrading to a Dormobile roof. The roof is a brand new one but i could'nt afford the £1800 fitting costs so yes it's out with the angle grinder taking note off what Robin said. The first problem was which way round the metal frame fitted (not a good start) but thanks to Michiel (spelt your name right this time) i was able to take some photo's and will now be able to fit it the correct way round????
In 2011/2012 we were lucky enough to ship the vehicle out to Australia for a 10 month tour around the country covering 16000 miles with only a few break downs living in a tent and in the vehicle (why should the kids be the only ones to have a gap year?)
In 2013 we went on a tag along trip to Corsica with John Horne, no break downs.
In 2015 we headed to the Rates Billing show in Portugal where we encountered many many break downs.
Will try to get Rose (my other half) to post some pics of our trips in the future. I will also be taking loads of pics of the conversion for any future references.
Thanks again and hope to see you all in the new year.
Colin.
Nice set up Mick.
Keep bashing away R-Rose.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Welcome aboard Colin :cheers: Have you turned "grumpy "in the last couple of years :laugh:

Good luck with the conversion and I look forward to seeing it next time youré in oz :cheers: I do remember posting this link elsewhere on the forum

http://colroseoldagetravellers.blogspot.com.au/