Gathering in France 2014?

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Gathering in France 2014?

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 am

Hi Ian

Sorry for slow reply.

We have always run these runs as informally as possible. Folk can join us anywhere they like and stay in France as long as the like.

We (Louise, William and I) will not be leaving Yorkshire until William leaves school and Louise leaves work. We will be dashing straight down to Dover and getting on a late ferry. We always drive straight round to the Aires de Service (Motorhome parking area) the other side of the port and go straight to sleep.

I recommend you set off earlier and has a less stressful journey to the channel.

The meet up points will be:

Aires de Service, Calais, 9.00am Saturday 24th May 2014. Breakfast.
ED Supermarket, Forges-les Eaux. 1.00pm. food shopping and Lunch
Camping St Paul, Lyons-la-Foret 3.00pm

We normally have a bit of a do on the Saturday evening with everyone bringing something from their local area to add to the table. I will bring a bbq and the Supermarket in Forges-les Eaux has an excellent butchers counter. If it is wet, the Campsite has a room we can use. It is a very good campsite and they are very welcoming. The site is big enough to let us all to camp together.

Trip report of the 2010 trip http://www.dormobile.org.uk/phpbb/viewt ... f=34&t=731

As for coming home, we have not yet decided how long we will be staying, but we will be staying at least until Tuesday. Louise has the whole week booked off work, but we still have a lot of work on the house to finish.

Let me know if you need any more info

Cheers Mick
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Mick,

Thanks for clarifying. Dianne and I will be making a longer stay (because we can !), but will make sure our dates coincide with the stop at Lyons-la-Foret.

Will post our intentions up ASAP in case our journey works in with anyone else.

Regards
Ian
RMS

Post by RMS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

I'm glad to see this one has been resurrected after missing a couple of years, and I'm really tempted - it's only a short foray into France (130 or so miles) so is an easy trip once you get to Dover :cheers

Also remember that you are allowed to take your camper on the Chunnel - there was a time when you couldn't if you had compressed gas cylinders!

I've added it into the 2014 Events Listing HERE and will let you know if I/we can fit something in :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Jabbawocky wrote:
We (Louise, William and I) will not be leaving Yorkshire until William leaves school and Louise leaves work. We will be dashing straight down to Dover and getting on a late ferry. We always drive straight round to the Aires de Service (Motorhome parking area) the other side of the port and go straight to sleep.

Cheers Mick
Hi Mick,

This aire de service, where excactly is that located? Still in the port oroutside the port?

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:01 pm

HI Michiel

It is bang opersite the port, on the sea front. You will see all the vans parked up as the ferry comes into port.

To get there, you do a sharp right turn when you come out of the port and run back down the side of the port. You will then pick up the 'Camping Car' signs, which will guide you to the parking area. The area is well used and patroled regularly by the Municipal Police. It costs 7 Euros to park up, but we have never had any trouble and there is a good Boulangerie just round the corner. You can see the area in the pictures posted on the Dormobile Forum. Follow the link above.

Cheers Mick
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Ahhhh thats the one.. I know that one. Is just past the entrance to the campsite.

Cool.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Dormy

Post by Dormy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Dormy wrote:Put us down too. About time we took Dormy abroad
Think I have messed up :stars:

Got May dates wrong and have double booked :thud:

Will actually be in a caravan in Wales when you lot will be enjoying France :aaagh:

Had thought the Wales trip was the beginning of May when we agreed with daughter and family. Got to go, France will have to be another time :shrug:

Sorry
Ian
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi all

4 weeks to go to the french trip and so far no one has confirmed they are going? Please let me know if you are intending to meet up in France. If no one conyacts me, I will cancel this trip and arrange a new date in the summer. Please let me know asap.

We will be going to France for 3 weeks during the school holidays and are happy to arrange a meet up in Normandy or further down country?
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:16 pm

We are off to France the week after, so we wont be joining anyone, sorry
Dormy

Post by Dormy » Wed May 07, 2014 9:58 am

[quote="Jabbawocky"If no one conyacts me, I will cancel this trip and arrange a new date in the summer.[/quote]

If you get no takers we are still interested in doing a trip and would tailor ours to coincide with any new dates you pick, if we can - promise, no double booking this time. We have no dates set yet and are only committed to the week before the International and the week after so far. Oh, and a trip to Germany & Holland on the M/C in Sept. (but might still need the L/R for Dianne's luggage !).

Ian