Colorado or bust 2016

Please post your trips here, past, present & future.
Note that shows etc. should be posted in the 'Events & Shows' section.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Colorado or bust 2016

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:47 am

I posted this on the Seriously Series forum so apologies if you've already seen this.

July seemed like a good month to head east to the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado, taking my usual drive out along Route 66. I try and stay away from freeways as although the Dormobile can cruise at 60-65mph, we still get passed by everything which gets tedious after a while.
This seems to be the right road!
Image Image
I usually stop along the way in Amboy, once a thriving motel/service station but now pretty much a ghost town.
The Cool Springs stop is a welcome sight after Oatman and the switchback drive down Sitgreaves Pass.
Then there’s Seligman, bypassed by the Interstate freeway, it reinvented itself as a kitschy reminder of the ‘50’s.
I stayed the night in Williams, Arizona. North of Williams is the Grand Canyon. Worth a visit. This was a long day – 420 miles from Williams to Cortez.
Turning east again, the drive takes us past Monument Valley.
Cortez to Chama, New Mexico is a mere 200 miles so it was an easy drive on the 4th day after leaving Los Angeles. Chama is the western terminus of the 3ft gauge Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, once part of the Denver and Rio Grande Western empire and now owned by the states of Colorado and New Mexico and which now runs tourist trains during the summer months.
K37 class #492 patiently awaits its turn for restoration.
I’ve signed up for the fireman and engineer’s school. It is a 4 day class and having done the fireman’s class last year, this year I was doing the engineer’s class. The first day is classroom and the rule book followed by light engine moves to the yard limit and back. Day 2 is a trip to Cumbres Pass and back, twice, with a freight train up the 4% (1 in 25) ruling gradient. There’s 6 fireman and 3 engineers in the class so plenty of opportunity to drive.
Here, the school freight waits for the westbound daily passenger train to pass.
Day 3 is an all-day trip to Antonito, 64 miles from Chama. The freight is crossing Cascade Trestle.
Day 4, we bring the train back again with a couple of extra cars that have been repaired. It was an early morning start!
Rock tunnel, by Toltec Gorge. Stunning scenery!
After the class, I had a couple of days off before moving to Antonito to work at the Carriage Restoration Facility (CRF) belonging to the Friends of the Railroad, so time for some sightseeing and train watching. The limit for the 4% climb up to Cumbres Pass is 8 cars for a K36 loco, so extra cars mean a pilot engine which is cut off at Cumbres.
The steep grade is evident here as the train tops Cumbres Pass.
I spent a couple of weeks in Antonito at the CRF, working on a boxcar that has been converted to a concession car that is used on photo freight charters.
It needed a full overhaul and interior repaint. But eventually, it was time to head home, retracing my steps west. Staying the night in Cortez again, I detoured north to Hovenweep to see the Peubloan ruins. Built around the 12th century, the buildings show considerable sophistication in design and construction.
Further west, I did take time off to do the loop through the Valley of the Gods.
I also drove up Moki’s Dugway, a very steep and quite terrifying drive up a cliff. No pictures as I was too scared to stop! See here for a description:
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-ame ... y-usa.html
I didn’t drive down again, not wanting to tempt fate and instead took the long way back. I stayed the night at Goulding’s Lodge in Monument Valley, once frequented by John Ford and John Wayne in their heyday.
Crossing the Mojave Desert after spending the night in Needles, I was pleasantly surprised to find the temperature was only 32degsC. Finally, after four and a half weeks on the road and some 2,800 miles, I made it back home in one piece.
RMS

Re: Colorado or bust 2016

Post by RMS » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks for the trip report Ian - another great one with fantastic pictures :gold:

It really makes me want to do the area again - we love the desert areas of the USA :tiphat:

Here's a picture of the Moki Dugway when we did it in 2006 - we only saw two wrecks over the side of the road :whistle:

We went up..... and down, in this hired minivan :aaagh:

Looking forward to your next trip - keep them coming :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
67dormobile
Info: 67 2a Dormobile

Post by 67dormobile » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks from me too Ian.

Great pics and looks a wonderful trip.I am hoping to do a similar trip in 2017 with some family.

My Dormobile is pretty much identical to Zuma except it's green but unfortunately too expensive to bring over - I'll

probably hire something similar to Robin's in the States when we get there.

Kind regards

Gary
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 am

Hi Gary,

I'm sure Ian can give you some tips on where to go and what to see :cheers:

We usually get an annual National Park pass and plan our itinerary around those.

Let me know if you want to know where we have visited and our highlights - last time we flew in and out of Salt Lake City, but we've used San Francisco in previous years.

I'm afraid (no disrespect to Ian and where he lives :embarassed:) we've only visited LA once - we found it much too busy and hectic for us - we love the open, desolate, desert areas; we're not really city folk :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:13 pm

That was great - thanks Ian

Fabulous Dormobile
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:45 am

What a great pictures sir...

Always great to read your stories of your trips.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...