Camper Storage Layout

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Camper Storage Layout

Post by Jabbawocky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:22 am

Mick,

I only need the tray. I am making my own wardrobe as I need a whole new design for what I want. I am making it from wood to trail it. It needs to house my fridge as well as the porta potti. When I have tried and tested the wooden design, I might think of getting it made in metal.
It does mean loosing the watercan shelves, but I am planning a water tank in one of the gasbottle brackets. Plus I have a jerry can holder to go between the wings to take either fuel or water.

Michiel
Michiel posted this whilst I was getting my Dormobile ready for our France trip. It got me thinking about what is the best layout and what are the storage priorities in a Land Rover camper? Personally I think the Dormobile layout is very good straight out of the box. One issue has been what to do with the fridge? Normally there has only been three of us, so the fridge has sat on the spare seat, which was in the bed position whilst traveling. At bed time we lifted this onto the cooker unit, but this stopped us using the cooker to make a brew and/or to heat the interior. In hot climates, the fridge suffered from being inside the vehicle, so subsequently I have made a table that clips onto outside of the vehicle and I now keep the fridge inside the awning whenever it erected.

Would I sacrifice space in the wardrobe for the fridge? No, there is only just enough space in there as it is. Would I loose one of the gas bottles? No, as I wold always like to have a backup. Would I loose the water shelves? No, my setup have 30L of water and that will only just do one day. I also have 20l of water in a jerry can holder on the front.

This is my setup and it suits us, but my reason for starting for this tread is to find out what the rest of you think is the best setup?

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers Mick
woollen797

Re: Camper Storage Layout

Post by woollen797 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:10 am

be nice to see what others require as I'm slowly kitting out a 109 for weekends away so all ideas are good.
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:43 pm

As my dormobile originally had the fridge stand instead of a wardrobe, I built a wardrobe unit to suit my needs but also to look along the lines of originality. It's wider and deeper than standard but also holds two 5 litre water carriers on the shelves. It will also house the fridge if required (50 litre Waeco) I normally put the fridge in the wardrobe if only two of us are camping, if four of us go then the fridge stands between wardrobe and sink unit until we reach our destination then gets put outside. I also store the table at the back of the wardrobe.
I don't have gas bottles under the drivers seat anymore as aussie authorities didn't like the idea :shrug: Instead I have a storage compartment in the seat box under the driver's seat and a 42 litre water tank fitted between the chassis rail and sill. On the passenger side I have made a deeper storage compartment fitted into the seat box.
I've made a small gas compartment to the rear of the vehicle and carry extra bottles on the roof rack. Sink unit has drawer unit fitted which is perfect for storing tins etc. I made the "spice rack" unit deeper so it stores all cups, dishes, plates, cutlery etc for four people. I also made two extra lockers fitted above the rear seats. These house various switches and sockets and all units have led down lights fitted to the underside. I also fitted button locks to all cabinet doors so they cannot fly open when off roading .
The sink has running filtered water and I've fitted an external shower , The wardrobe has a 10" tv / dvd fitted to the side panel and I've just fitted a four speaker stereo which is connected to the tv. We can now have surround sound movies while eating dinner at the table :eatin: :wine:
I've fitted an awning to the side of the vehicle, an external rear light, and the expedition roof rack is perfect for storing all sorts of stuff, bedding, table, chairs, oz tent, fishing rods and even the canoe occasionally.
This layout works perfectly for me and I don't think I'd change anything, all the units have been sprayed as per the original hammered finish and look like they've always been there. I still have lots to do like fit a diesel motor :whistle: but I think as long as the straight six motor keeps going and the sun keeps shining then it won't get done for a while :cheers:
Calum

Post by Calum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:16 pm

I'm still making plans in my head to change the way I store things in the Carawagon.. I have reduced the amount of water stored under the sink in favour of shelves under there for all the brew tackle, cutlery, mugs/cups, washing up kit etc and the Propex also lives in the bottom there. I think there is about 30 litres or so under there. If needs be I can carry more water on the roof rack or possibly fit front bumper jerry can mounts. I have a spare fuel can on the rear jerry can mount, and being a 6 pot it has the larger rear mount tank. The under floor storage in the Carawagon is a great feature and really increases the available storage. The well behind the passenger seat will be getting the leisure battery in it (though this by no means fills it!). It also houses a small inverter, with the split charge relay and seperate fusebox for the leisure battery appliances in the main battery box under the passenger seat. I could remake that battery tray to take both batteries but I am reluctant to do that given how much I paid for one of those nice laser cut jobbies!! My main improvement I want to make is a fridge, but it doesn't need to be large. My Carawagon unusually has a full oven under the hob and grille, which takes up the usual fridge space. Time will tell how much I end up using it, but it is nice to have.
Teriann
Info: 1960 Dormobile Hybrid

Post by Teriann » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:01 pm

My solutions to the storage problems and layout work well but the design is specifically for a 2 door 109 and not the four door models that I think most of you have.

If you are interested:

Full description at:
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRdetail2.htm
TeriAnn______________

web site http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/
Land Rover based motor caravans http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/#caravan
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:04 pm

The wardrobe I want to make is a trail version. I have the challence that my wife has 2 requirements to go on holiday with Dora. She wants her toilet and her fridge freezer on the trip. I totally get that as she is used to a caravan. The solution that Mick (Jabbawocky) has for the toilet is second to none as it puts the toilet nicely out of the way and creates more usable storage. The other issue is where does one put its fridge. I happen to have quite a big one, a National Luna 50l weekender. It is bigger than the Engel that most people have. We travel with 4, 2 adults and 2 children. The kids sleep in the bunk beds. We sleep on the double below. Now, the clothes storage is another point I was struggling with. But I think I have found the solution I think should work for us.
I want to take the wardrobe out and replace it with a custom made one that takes the fridge on rails so we can get in it when you slide it out. No doors in front of the fridge. I measured it all up and I found there is enough space above the fridge to make a shelf to put smaller items like toiletry bags, towels etc. I would loose the water carrier, but I want to put a tmore or less fixed tank in the second gasbottle cradle under the drivers seat. Additional I could mount a cradle for a jerry can on my front bumper. For the clothes I thought it would work for us to put each persons clothes in a waterproof bag. These bags can live between the wardobe and the kitchen. The fridge lives there now. Reasoning is that 4 medium sized bags are much easier to shift internally then the big fridge. In sleeping mode they can easely fit under the double bed in the 2 footwells and on the floor in front of the second row seats. I have made an extra large spice rack like jerry did and 2 extra spice rack type cabinets above the 2 second row doors. I also just finished the cutlery drawer under the cooker behinnd the lower door. All our plates and cups can fit in the bigger spice rack cabinet. Food we can store in the 2 other cabinets and under the cooker/sink. I also installed a cab heater for those chilly nights. On the roofrack I have a big alu box with our chairs etc. A alu chest with the bbq and all stuff related to making fire are in there. Also the drive away awning I store on the roof rack, as the washing machine and the windbreaker and tripod for over the fire.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
DanC

Post by DanC » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:02 pm

You've seen mine Mick? On a swing away mount on the wardrobe , works great.
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:19 am

DanC wrote:You've seen mine Mick? On a swing away mount on the wardrobe , works great.
I have seen some photo's of your dormobile in the CLR. Nice article. I am afraid that my fridge is a tad bigger then your fridge.
Did you strengten the inside of the wardrobe for the swing away bracket? There must be quite a lot of force on one point on there...

I have to put mine inside the wardrobe to get it out of the way.

We are trailing the clothes bag solution I mentioned this weekend when we go to Bruges with the Series 2 club's charity run. I have bought 4 of these pvc waterproof duffel bags from Aldi. They should fit snug between the second row seats and the kitchen unit and wardrobe. Before we go on our summer trip to France in August, I will have built the wardrobe for the fridge etc. It's all trail and error in the end of the day. If it does not work, I'll try something else.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks for starting this discussion Jabbawocky, its something that I've been researching since buying the 109.

One of our issues is that we have quite a large Engel fridge/freezer that although its bashed about and many many years old, is still perfectly reliable and fit for purpose so we're reluctant to swap it for a new smaller one. Its the same as TerriAnn's as far as I can see, and its her layout that we'll probably base our build on in the end - our build is complicated by the LPG tank being located in the rear tub as well :)

On the subject of water, has anyone utilised the underseat areas for water storage? I was thinking that its reasonably low down, and I could use a pair of modified (top cut off) military fuel tanks or similar to hold a plastic water containers with 12v pumps attached?

The other question I have is about the gas tank - we have a 4.5kg size tank. My initial thought was to use one of the gas tank frames that are available and mount it near the rear window like this...

...but I'm a bit concerned about the weight being that high up - I'll be fitting parabolics so I'm guessing it'll be more liable to rolling/swaying with those fitted?