Painting internal of roof

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Marque

Painting internal of roof

Post by Marque » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Good afternoon. A very prior PO has painted the internal surface of the roof a rather deep red. Surface looks in good condition but i would like to return it to a more conventional colour as it is somewhat dark
May i ask:
What colour should it be?
What are the suggested paint types for fibreglass?
Kindest regards
Mark
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Painting internal of roof

Post by Jabbawocky » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:01 pm

HI Mark

As far as I know, Series Dormobile roofs were not painted on the inside by the factory. Most of the roofs I have seen have not been paints, but have become very grubby over the years. Mine was just like that and also grubby on the outside as well.

I sprayed the outside with gelcoat and then wet flatted it back down again. I had plenty of white gelcoat left, so I sprayed the inside as well. I can highly recommend that as it looks great and is easy to clean.

Cheers Mick
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:50 am

I just used an oil-based white gloss on mine that looks really good and clean. Major improvement!

Ian
Marque

Post by Marque » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you Gentlemen. I will research on the lines you suggested. Gel coats appeal as the outside is rather poor. Would be very interested to hear see of roof renovation approaches techniques and methods. Would like to avoid cost of professionald if possible.
Kindest regards
Mark
jerryd
Info: "the pom down under"

Post by jerryd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Here's my efforts :cheers: I also sprayed the inside of the roof which looks great

http://www.rms1.co.uk/lrcc/forum/viewto ... f=17&t=340

Two years on and the paint looks as good as it did on day one, I'm also pleased that no more cracks have appeared in the fibreglass. The only complaint I have is that the flexi paint hasn't worked on the inside of the striped canopy and has started falling off leaving bits on everything :rant: