Alternative "Canvas"

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Marque

Alternative "Canvas"

Post by Marque » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:19 am

Ladies & Gentlemen

Has anyone considered replacing a torn roof canvas with another more up to date material? I am thinking (well into the future) regarding this. Do you have any suggestions that are anti shrink / light & weather proof? I am thinking a solid colour to match the bodywork.

Is breathability a factor that would suggest Gortex or some form of tear resistant material? I would like to avoid perishing at the corner etc & any general improvements to the fabric cut (i.e. a fly) to improve the design.

Kindest regards
Mark
RobW

Re: Alternative "Canvas"

Post by RobW » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:19 am

Hadn't considered it, but modern materials also suffer from problems.

Canvas (old stuff) fades and may shrink/rot over time. Can be reproofed.

Nylon based (ie many synthetics) will suffer from UV degradation of the fibres, so will eventually split at the stress points. Talk to the chandlers yards, but modern sails still need replacing due to ageing, hang gliders also suffer from this (paragliders are even worse).

I think Goretex is actually a membrane that's built into a fabric, so would suffer from the problems above. Given the number of jackets I've had that delaminated I'm not sure I'd want to use this.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:04 am

Hi Mark

I had a new canvas from 'Proud to Pop' for my Dormobile and I have to say I am very dissapointed with it. It has cracked at every fold and the glued seams have failed in several places. It is now in a similar condition to the 40 year old cnvas I replaced.

When I had my awning made, I asid to Graham at http://www.tentvaletingservices.co.uk/ that I thought the material was too stiff. He said he had made some canvas's for Dormobile and the material was much more flexible. I would think Graham would be a good man to talk too as ha knows a lot about waterproof fabrics.

Cheers Mick
Marque

Post by Marque » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you Mick, I too looked at Proud to Pop. All in with the roof repairs - a very significant sum. Same magnitude from Dormobile proper.

Sorry to hear of the reportedly quality issues.

I will reach out as suggested & see what the feedback is.

Kindest regards
Mark
Marque

Post by Marque » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:10 pm

An update to pause this thread until I have funds to progress:

My enquiry
As is typical it is splitting along the “elbows” of the roof stays & is general poor shape. In discussions with LRCC forum members you were recommended. I suspect that what I am looking for is hard to achieve. Namely:
[1] Hard wearing internal fabric to deal with the friction & tension the roof stays generate. To prevent splitting.
[2] A middle layer (like a space blanket) to trap warmth
[3] An outer layer so that it appears normal (typically they were a red & white candy stripe).
[4] Custom fly (front & rear) to let air through if / when required
[5] Anything else that will improve usability & longevity based upon your experience.

Not an immediate purchase hence the request for your advice. Current “straight” replacements items appear to be manufactured poorly. For the quoted 1,000 GBP from these vendors I would like to hear more favourable reports. However the user reviews are currently poor. Hence my interest in a “custom” solution.

Grahams kind response below:
I,m sure we could make this to your specs
as for a price I would have to talk to you over design and materials,
but it won’t be £1000
We do not fit these so you would have to sort that.

-----------------------------
So in summary possible to execute, an alternative canvas. Thank you Mick & Graham.