My new overdrive

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

My new overdrive

Post by Ian » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:21 pm

I just finished fitting a Roamerdrive overdrive unit to the Dormie. It's a very straightforward installation process. The thing that took the longest time was relocating the driver's (RHS) seat as the mountings overlapped the center seat box making it impossible to remove. I had to move it 1/2" sideways but it does mean I can now take the seat box out to access the transmission. That and modifying the seat box to clear the overdrive, which is quite a large unit. :aaagh:
All that done, I took it for a test drive up Pacific Coast Highway and what a difference the overdrive makes! Lower revs for the same speed, less noise, what's not to like? :nana1: :nana1: :nana1:
Whether it makes a difference to the miles per gallon, We will have to wait and see. But with petrol at $2.75 a gallon at the moment, who cares?

Ian
RMS

Re: My new overdrive

Post by RMS » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Ian,

That sounds great - overdrives without whining, though at a cost :whistle:

I've got a Fairey on mine - quiet but the synchro failed 18 months ago so double-de-clutch every time I come out, until I can be bothered to take it off and replace the synchro springs or whatever has gone.

I've also got two Torro overdrives - one proven working and quiet, the other unknown but supposedly good, so that's my other two projects sorted when I restore them.

With 3.54 diffs (behind a 200TDi) an overdrive is a bit of a luxury, but as you say, slot it into overdrive and it all goes quiet :cheers:

I'm sure it will make a difference to your MPG, especially on longer highway trips - it would be interesting to find out how much.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)