Wind Generater

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Wind Generater

Post by romanyrose » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:55 am

G'day chaps, i have just been going through one of my old diaries from the seventies and found a drawing of my own design wind generator :whistle: .

As usual i used what i had to hand but using a push bike set of forks a back wheel with sprocket a dynamo and old type regulator box i had made up my own battery charger to help put back at least a bit of charge because the charging system on my Matchless bike had developed a slight fault and in those days 6volt parts were very expensive to say the least :banghead: .

Anyhow i rigged up a sail system on the spokes of the wheel by fitting cloth fabric diagonally across the spokes the stem of the forks went through a bracket that held an old dynamo that had a gear instead of a pulley which was linked by a cycle chain to the rear wheel that had a fixed wheel sprocket so the gearing could be changed if need be.

The dynamo and regulator box were sat side by side and wired up to a battery the tricky part in those days was to set the cut in and rate of charge by trial and error but i have an original Lucas manual from my late father that went into great detail which helped complete the job.

As most will know an alternator takes a lot of energy to turn when charging unlike a dynamo that takes very little hence it worked a treat so this idea will be going on my breakdown truck of how to charge you battery at the side of the road without the aid of modern technology of one of those solar panels that cost money :wine: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .