Door seal Rivets and front dormatic seat

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Re: Door seal Rivets and front dormatic seat

Post by Jabbawocky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:40 pm

HI Dan
The rivets you need for your door seals are Boeing semi-tubular rivets and you need a pair of river squeezers to fit them. The rivet squeezers can be set precisely to fit the seals without crushing them. I normally order the rivets from John Craddocks using the correct part number. I also know a very nice chap who rents out the rivet squeezer and will even show you how to use them. I have offered this service to S2C members for many years now.

As for your front seats. Here is mine. Taken out so you can get a better look.

The metal brackets can be felt when the bed is made up, but only a problem when crawling about. When laid down it is the tops of the front seats and the front edge of the rear seat bases, that rub on your hip bones and make the bed not the best. We chuck a double self inflating mattress on top of the bed and then the bed is fabulous.

Hope this helps

Mick
DanC

Post by DanC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 am

Lovely Mick, cheers for that!

I can see that mine just requires a liberal amount of easing fluid as I can now see where it is sticking!!!

Re-rivets, I may well be in touch on that, in the past I have used pop rivets but it isn't as neat, I will photograph mine on the weekend to make sure they are the same and drop you a line. My drivers door seal seams to have entirely vanished and I don't remember when it went :banghead:
'The Wagon' 1962 Martin Walters Dormobile, 2.25 Petrol
'Bessy' 1965 2.25 88" diesel
'Daisy' 1958 2.25 88" diesel
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 am

Sorry I haven't been able to get the photos - glad Mick sorted it.
http://www.tonyarcher.co.uk/ is the upholsterer I used. £50 a seat plus a bit more for the bench seat. If you use him, agree the colour and fabric first. I don't think he has got an exact match for Mick's seat in the photo
DanC

Post by DanC » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Well liberal amounts of easing fluid and enough weight to end up on my face when it decided to work :laugh: You will see it needs recovering but at least it is A. working and B. exactly right for the year of Dormi! Thanks Graeme//
Attachments
IMAG0500.jpg
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 am

There is a bit of a design flaw with the Dormatic seats when folded flat to make the bed(s) as Mick has hinted at with his inflateable mattress.

You will probaly find that the bed drops slightly between the flat rear seats and the flat front ones. For me, this step co-incided with the small of my back and always caused me to squirm about, readjusting my postion on the bed to try to get comfortable.

As you have the seat off it might be a chance to refit it with some spacers underneath to permanently raise it's height. I have done this with Dormy and now enjoy a much better nights kip with no achy back in the morning. I lifted Dormy's drivers seat as much as 3/4" though I can't remeber exactly how much I can check if you want.

I still need to raise the front passenger seat but hope to achieve this by just packing 1/4" under just its rear seatbox rail, as the difference is much less and won't then affect the front fixings.

An unforseen advantage of raising the drivers seat is it now clears the lip on the rear of the seatbox and allows me to slide it further back. I find this gives me a much better driving position with my (slightly) longer legs and more room to the steering wheel too.

HTH
Dormy
DanC

Post by DanC » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

Cheers Dormi,

I will have a look at that, sound advice.

Dan
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 pm

I had similar issues with my green dormobile seats.
Cured by getting them recovered to a consistent thickness
DanC

Post by DanC » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Going Exmoor Trim on for the seats after the jaw dropping cost of the upholsters, I wanted to keep the original elephant hide but it is really past it's best now... For those interested I have been speaking to the owner of Exmoor and they will be adding the black seat covers to their product list, they will be cheaper than elephant hide. I know Alex got his covered for peanuts, but for others a bit further away this might well be a good opportunity to recover your seats yourself.

Cheers.
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 am

seal rivets on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230925958354? ... 1423.l2649

does't include the thing to hit them with.

You could always grind the lip off and fit defender ones :whistle:
DanC

Post by DanC » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Probably just use pop rivets Alex... I am feeling mighty skint with the one way Dormobile finance traffic at the moment... At least me seat re-trim kit is coming next week, give me a chance to get ready for the warmer weather if it ever comes!!