Dormobile roof strengthening bar?

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
RMS

Dormobile roof strengthening bar?

Post by RMS » Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi,

I've stripped my Dormobile roof to repair a couple of slightly damaged areas, and see that there is a steel tube fibreglassed in along the hinge side and halfway across the front.
The quality of the fibreglassing over the tubes doesn't look very professional and actually has open weave sections where not enough mat was used and which has allowed water to get to the tube and rust it through :thud: I wondered if these were standard or if someone has added them to this roof at some time.

The tubes have rusted through in places and I can't see them doing much strengthening in the state they are in.

I intend cutting them out and replacing anyway, but I just wondered if they were original :shrug:

It also looks like there were steel plates glassed in where the hinges mount, but these have also turned to dust so I'll be replacing those as well - again, I assume these were original?

By the way, the red/brown patches shown in this picture are from a previous owner repair and looks like it was used to try to stick the curtain rail on one side.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Re: Dormobile roof strengthening bar?

Post by RobW » Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Don't think there's anything like that on mine. Easiest way to find out is to look at the Dormobile parts catalogue (sit down for the prices!) as you can buy everything new.
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon May 14, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks Rob.

I did look at the parts catalogue, but I would think that if the bars are original they would be incorporated in the roof shell and not available separately.

Of course, the roof moulding could have changed over the years, or, as I suspect, this is a previous owner modification to give a bit more rigidity :shrug:

There are a couple of other members on here who have handled roofs off vehicles recently (Simon & JohnH), so I'm looking for a consensus, I hope.

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon May 14, 2018 4:59 pm

I am pretty sure that they are original. There definitely are plates at the back of the hinges (which rust)

If in doubt, give Steve at Dormobile uk a ring - He should be able to confirm
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 pm

What is the small round hole for ?

Very brave, taking the complete roof apart They are a pig to get back together, esp the "canvas" re-attached to the hinge side of the roof
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon May 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for that.

The number for Dormobile is going straight to voicemail today, so I've now messaged them and waiting for a reply.

I did hesitate to take off the canvas, but it was easy enough, and as I'm putting the same canvas back on it should fit straight back in place without any pulling/tugging/stretching - I hope :whistle:

The hole is a vent - there were two as you can see here:
I'm not sure whether to put them back on or to fill the holes while I've got the resin and mat on the go.

I'll be following your example, Alex, and spraying the outside with white paintable underseal to cover any blemishes and crazing in the gel coat (and the round holes if I decide to fill them!

As yours has been on for a while now, what would you think about spraying it on the inside as well, as a bit of insulation against condensation? Has yours set hard enough on the outside, do you think?
(Robin on S2C forum)
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 pm

the current (Limestone one) is dead hard on the outside and was from day 1 really. However, after experiencing very high winds while camping in france last summer, when the hoops proved themselves to be beggared, I booked it infor a new canvas and hoops and Steve convinced me to let him paint the inside.

It's an ok job. Not really convinced of the benefit to be honest
RobW

Post by RobW » Tue May 15, 2018 9:27 am

RMS wrote: I did hesitate to take off the canvas, but it was easy enough, and as I'm putting the same canvas back on it should fit straight back in place without any pulling/tugging/stretching - I hope :whistle:
Good luck! The guys who did mine would happily never see another one ever again!
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 am

AlexB wrote:the current (Limestone one) is dead hard on the outside and was from day 1 really. However, after experiencing very high winds while camping in france last summer, when the hoops proved themselves to be beggared, I booked it infor a new canvas and hoops and Steve convinced me to let him paint the inside.

It's an ok job. Not really convinced of the benefit to be honest
I was thinking of spraying with the underseal as an insulation layer to prevent condensation, rather than just paint.
It should be very easy to do while it's just a bare shell.

My hoops look to be in very good condition, as is the canvas. I think they were probably replaced when it was originally 'restored' 7 years ago - the canvas has the wide red/white stripes, which I think is what Dormobile use as a modern replacement :shrug:
(Robin on S2C forum)
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue May 15, 2018 9:54 am

RobW wrote:
RMS wrote: I did hesitate to take off the canvas, but it was easy enough, and as I'm putting the same canvas back on it should fit straight back in place without any pulling/tugging/stretching - I hope :whistle:
Good luck! The guys who did mine would happily never see another one ever again!
Knowing what others had said about fitting new canvas, as I was removing it I looked at how it was fastened, and pulled/pushed it to see what it would be like re-fitting, and couldn't see that there would be a problem.

I think, if you were fitting a brand new canvas it would be difficult as you'd have to position it very carefully so it would be taught when put up, but mine has all the marks and screw holes where it was fitted so can't go wrong, I think.
With the cap off, the canvas can be fitted to the shell before lifting on to the vehicle, so nothing is difficult to get at or reach.
I would think that if you were trying to fit the canvas while the cap was on the roof it would be a lot more difficult.
Two pairs of hands will help, as well :wink:

Of course, I might be back here cursing in a few weeks if it all goes wrong!!

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)