Getting dormobile canvas to stretch.

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
moogling

Getting dormobile canvas to stretch.

Post by moogling » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:23 pm

:hello:

I have just fitted a series dormy roof to my current project.

It's been closed for who knows how long and I cant get the front pole extended enough to be anywhere near its locking location.
I did manage the rear pole and nearly injured myself in the process!
Both poles are on the maximun extension point at the top so it's down to the canvas limitations

Can anyone suggest how to make it stretch a little as if it won't open on a warm day like today it will never open in September or later!

The canvas will have to be replaced eventually as it's a long way past it's best,but i really wanted to get at least this year out of it
moogling

Re: Getting dormobile canvas to stretch.

Post by moogling » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:03 pm

I have managed to get it up with the use of a hairdryer and sacrificing my wrists. Definitely no good for camping right now as it's far too tight. Shall i just keep trying to put it up for as long as possible in the hope it starts to keep it's shape?
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi possibly not the best solution but I've put 2 more holes in my sliding poles so they would open to the point I could get them to with the pole in the top notch (about 2 inch from the original hole). after a few openings in the current warm weather it has now moved down a notch and is nearly ready for the 3rd notch, once I get to the third notch I should be able to use the top notch and the original hole.
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:43 pm

One does need warmth (weather or artificial heat) and patience. My previous vehicles I left up for a few days once I had got the roof up.

The new canvases are a bastard to get right - if they fit at all, so it's last resort
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm guessing new ones are not the best then
moogling

Post by moogling » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks both. I don't have the windows in the roof fitted right now but when i do I'll leave it up for a while and maybe even hair dryer it in? I'm not overly keen on drilling holes in the poles but I can see why this would be a good solution!

I've heard new canvases can be a real pig too but unfortunately it will have to happen at some point as there are some decent size holes around stress points and a multitude of pinholes
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:08 am

Mine is in daily use so I do not have the option of leaving it up to stretch on its own accord otherwise I'd look at some method of jacking it up gently till it will allow the hole on the pole to line up. Maybe use a high lift jack with a 4x4 timber stood end on going up to the roof and then another timber across the roof to spread the load could help in your case.
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:01 pm

How about washing it with hot water and getting some one inside to push up? Don't forget not to make it too hot though as you may break a window

Just washed mine with hot water and it went saggy.
moogling

Post by moogling » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Oh, that's a good plan indeed!! IF it's not raining later i'll go out and do exactly that. My windows aren't fitted at the moment so no worries there.
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:40 pm

water will warm a larger area than the heat gun