Split charge system please

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Split charge system please

Post by romanyrose » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:56 am

Although i have asked in my HEC post it might not be noticed, a simple as possible split charge system is what i would like to fit before a final tidy up of the wires from my amp/stereo system.

I can fit the second battery either under the passenger seat or in between the front seat's, i am not bothered which but i am on the final tidy up of fitting extra wires that can become another small loom.

I have asked on the series two club having made a last minute decision to fit a second battery and have got a panic on :embarassed: , why i don't know but that's just me and the way i cope with situation that enter the old brain box :laugh: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
Klusenhusen
Info: Building a Dormobile from a 1973 109

Re: Split charge system please

Post by Klusenhusen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Instead of a split charge system, you could just use a switch that lets you use: battery 1, battery 2 or both batteries, or cut out both batteries.
You would find such a switch in boating shops, a lot cheaper than the split charge systems I have found on the various shops.

Regards Jan
Kind regards
Jan Kulseng-Hanssen
Norway

88 1960 SW
109 1973 to become Dormobile with a personal touch
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:38 pm

That sounds very useful.
Do the batteries have to be the same size?
Does it matter if one is a leisure battery?
Can a small battery cope with the ampage from a vehicle alternator?

Genuine questions, I don't like working with electricity, I can't see it leaking.
To infirmary and beyond!
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:59 pm

G'day chap's, thank you for your reply, and thank's Matt for asking the question's i didn't think about :embarassed: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 am

gossamer wrote:Do the batteries have to be the same size?
No, but the bigger the battery the longer it will run things between charging - might help if you plan to park up for several days, but not really an issue if you are just running a few lights (LED use less power too).
gossamer wrote:Does it matter if one is a leisure battery?
A leisure battery will tolerate being discharged more than a vehicle battery. This means it can give power for longer between charging without suffering damage.
gossamer wrote:Can a small battery cope with the ampage from a vehicle alternator?
The smallest readily available leisure batteries are about 75Ah capacity, so aren't far off the same as a vehicle battery and will easily cope with charging from an alternator.

HTH
Ian
p.s. I use one 75Ah leisure battery and swap it between the caravan and Dormobile, which ever we might be going out (in) in !
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:33 am

Hi Brad,

In the past, before 'Smart relays' were invented :embarassed: I've used a normal 12V 30A relay, similar to this diagram:

I connect terminal 86 to the alternator warning lamp wire so the relay only energises when the alternator is charging.

Hope that helps,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:54 pm

G'day Robin, it was in my mind to use the small wire off the alternator which is so simple, my mind was in a bit of a turmoil to be honest because i am trying to save money not spend it remember :wink: .
As you well know i get a greater satisfaction from using what i have around me, this was something i learnt from my late father who when working in third world countries used what ever was kicking around.

I remember him saying all the money in the world is no good to you if you are stuck in the middle of know where, also where there is a will there is a way :whistle: .

Catch you later. Brad :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:53 pm

G'day Chap's, i thank you again for prompting my memory :nana: , over the last couple of day's i knew i had an answer to my thought's of running a second battery but for the life of me could not remember anything, i think what might have made it worse in the end was people mentioning the amperage of cable that should be used :embarassed: .
As i would have mentioned in many of my post's figures or be it numbers have a habit of confusing me so i usually go by the thickness of the cable or strands of wire as the case maybe, i used to have a board before my big move with different thickness of wire fixed to it, all had the relevant amperage's marked next to it and what they were used for :shrug: , as you might have guessed it is in a safe place so i suppose i will make another just to be on the safe side but then i will remember :banghead:.
What prompted me to do the above :whistle: ,while rewiring my 24 volt 109 i found a quite stout screw driver blown in half in a shunt box :thud: , it turn's out the person i got it off wanted to fit a CB-Radio and interior light in the cab so he went in the shunt box for a power take off point :shakehead: apparently shorting the screwdriver while messing around nearly deafened him. He was that shocked he even left the two parts of the screwdriver inside the shunt box then decided 24volts were not for him and i ended up with a 109 :laugh: .
Unfortunately my memory is leaving me :shakehead: and i have trouble remembering what i did yesterday ,however what i did fifty years ago is not a problem which is frustrating to say the least, i guess to much :wine: is catching up with me :cactus: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Thank you for posting this as I have just added a split charge to my series 3 and wasn't sure where best to get the feed for the ignition from, never thought about getting it direct from the alternator so cheers.
Ian
Info: 1962 Dormobile "Zuma"

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 pm

If you are installing a 2nd 'house' battery inside the vehicle, it really needs to be an AGM battery for safety's sake. 'Wet' batteries give off vapours when charging that will rot your insides. :aaagh:
I would also fit a switch so it won't discharge when the vehicle is not being used - those USB ports with LED's do eventually discharge the house battery!