HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: HEC updates

Post by romanyrose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm

G'day chap's, i need some help making up my mind :shrug: , while going through one of my trinket shed's it turn's out i have a spare small cooker. Now i originally was just going to fit a small hob by which i mean two ring's and a grill but having come across this small oven complete with ring's on the top then a grill.
Now this is all nice and compact and i am tempted to fit this just in case i fancy some jacket tates, before someone jump's down my throat i love my jacket tates and normally if i have a fire a tate wrapped in kitchen foil or just placed on the fire makes for a good meal in it'self.
I have plenty to do before i make up my mind but just thought i would ask other peoples opinion's, i have an oven in my ambulance almost the same as this one i am thinking of fitting in the 88. Bearing in mind i have a pull out awning on the back of the 88 mean's i will be outside while the tates are cooking.
While the floor is out of the 88 i have been looking at fitting some sort of water carrier, although i have a few idea's mulling around in my bounce has anyone any idea's they can throw my way please.
Time for a brew as all this thinking has given me a thirst :laugh: .

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:46 pm

G'day chap's, while the floor is out on HEC my 88 i just thought it would be easier to make a mount for the cooker side of thing's, the cooker could sit on the swing out table and be swung out to the center so i can stand outside under my pull out awning while cooking.
When i say outside i mean just level with the rear of the truck, i have a small extractor fan or just the small lift up vent, this of course is so the truck does not fill with steam when cooking or just boiling the kettle.
I have just thought the safari roof has the two vent's at the rear so maybe that will be enough :shrug: , but i am thinking when i visit the family resting places down in Essex at Christmas time i never hurry so the small extractor fan will always come in handy instead of having the door/vent's open.
Of course the extractor fan would only be used when boiling something :shrug: , but then the choice is there if needed and yes maybe over the top but if it is there one does not have to use it.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Sorry it is me again but feeling a lot better than of late :wink: , the fact i managed to get out in my garage and tinker i find is a good medicine. Bracket's that hold the seat belt's to the floor at the front are now painted along with a load of other part's that had been taken off while the rear floor was out ie body support's.
I have almost decided while the rear floor was out it would be easy to clean down the axle casing ready for what ever colour i have the most of :neener: after of course i have cleaned thing's down primed and undercoated :shakehead: , yep!! i have a bit missing but it makes me happy.
I must admit to having a play with some electrical add on's that are now fitted even though i might never use they will be there just in case.
You will have to excuse me if i repeat myself but that is not the issue :whistle: , it's just the fact i have found some that i either missed or just could not find at the time{again the safe place comes to mind :thud: }.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue May 02, 2017 10:04 pm

G'day chaps, i was not happy with the mounting plate for the extra trailer board socket that was mounted in the rear PTO hole of the cross member so i made another and at the same time gave the old trailer socket a good strip down and clean.
I originally wanted to fit the trailer socket recessed in the PTO hole but my mobility made me change my mind and it is now fixed on a plate i made with the wires exciting through the back of the unused PTO hole.
Of course i could have just used self tapping screw's to hold the plate in place :shakehead: , that's to easy but instead of self tapping screw's i now have four small riv-nut's fitted to the rear chassis and some lovely stainless bolt's covered in copper grease holding everything in place.
A tad more Romany type painting on the back of the truck helped me realize bless her she is coming together, it also won't be long before the rear floor goes back in and i can finish off the camping side of thing's.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed May 10, 2017 9:44 pm

G'day chap's, as usual i have been cleaning up a mountain of part's that have been stripped of all the paint and rust with all the steal bit's being treated to some rust inhibitor that turn's black.
As usual i primed undercoated and top coated everything all done with brushes of different sizes to try and make a good job :whistle:, up till now thing's look OK although not perfect it will be tidy enough for me.
My exhaust and tow bar bracketry is all fitted nice and snug so i am at least pleased with that although i did struggle a bit :banghead: , again that is nothing new but very satisfying :whistle:.
Unfortunately the rib of the rear floor that the floor plates sit on require some work but i guess that is to be expected after drilling out hundred's of random alloy spot weld's that hold the rear floor in place :shrug: .
It might not sound much but it all takes time and unfortunately i am very slow but at least i am enjoying myself which i guess is all that matter's.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat May 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Hey up chap's, it was a very slow start this morning although my intention's were there it was a case of start on a small job if only to limber up the joint's and get my thinking tank working :embarassed: .
To be honest the lip the floor sit's on in the rear of the truck could really do with a bit of strengthening :shrug:, it was a case of sitting down with a brew to try and drum up some idea's, it's not only the idea's of what i want to do next but the case of using what i have around me.
To be honest this is quite the normal situation i find myself in with fund's being very much on the tight side :laugh: , i guess to be honest for me it is more entertaining using and making what i have around me fit but look as though it was made to fit originally.
While looking at the rear floor that i took out i realized it was two strip's of stainless :whistle: , hence it was not as easy to drill which i should have remembered from earlier day's while taking the back body apart :embarassed: .
Unfortunately i stalled at this part thinking there must be an easier way :whistle: , it was while supping another brew i remembered i had a few 109 floor's down my garden along with an 88 :wink: , off i trundled to see what i could find only to arrive and realize that maybe it will be a job for anther day :thud: .
While going through my trinket's i came across some original floor support's for the back , now my late father had used alloy greenhouse support's for the rear floor so rather than the proper steal ones i will be using the ones my late father fitted but in a different way.

I must say how time flies when one is having so much fun. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 pm

G'day chap's, i feel i have to apologize for my updates taking longer than i had hoped, my darn issue's are becoming a real pain and i am often just restricted to small job's that just seem to take for ever and what strength i have :shrug: .
Thankfully i am very stubborn and i will get there with my goal that is tending my families graves down in Essex, i do often think back to when i just nipped down and back in a day either on my Matchless chop or my 88 :shrug: , like i have said before memories of my younger life are very important to me which mean's it always takes longer than expected.
I guess i am a lucky person who had a fantastic childhood despite my dissabillities apart from being unable to learn :laugh: .
Again sorry for the waffling :embarassed: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 pm

G'day chap's, i really feel my situation is getting a tad ridiculous now so i am sorry for any repetition with what i either say or just try and achieve :shakehead: .
I eventually managed to get outside and have a bash with a nice blunt edged chisel on the rear section of the chassis, from behind the passenger seat right through to the rear cross member. It was now down to reaching over to attack the inner part of the rear chassis along with laying on my back to attack the underneath rail's.
I know it sound's daft but if i had managed to miss a section :shakehead: i would not have been happy so i guess it doesn't hurt to check :shrug: if only for my own piece of mind. When i find myself in a situation like this with any of my truck's my own piece of mind mean's a lot, while towing which i do a lot of :wink: the last thing i want to happen is rip the rear cross member off.
I know it does not sound a lot to some people but when i had sort of finished for the day i really felt like i had been in a boxing ring with a professional boxer :stars: .
Now i have manged to jot this part down just so i remember, i think i had better go and have a good scrub up before i lay my head on my pillow, tired maybe but happy.

RobW

Post by RobW » Fri May 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Just take it steady, and it'll all come together. I'm under doctor's instructions to take it steady; been trying to do too many things and taking too many hours without actually resting. Currently I figure out a list of what I want to do, half it and feel happy to get about a third done. Hopefully back to work next week, but will have to see come Monday.
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri May 19, 2017 10:32 pm

G'day RobW, i have to say it but tomorrow never comes :whistle: R-Rose :tiphat: .