HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

HEC updates

Post by romanyrose » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 pm

G'day chap's, it's been a while but after months of playing with electric fans for the radiator after my well made but old type motor fell apart i have finally managed to cobble up a good motor out of what i could find in my electrical trinket shed.

My problem is i really wanted to use my bracketry i made years ago but finding trinkets in a shed that is full is not easy but step by step i gathered parts together and finally built a motor that worked :nana: , anyway Mark off this forum with the ambulance swapped an old kenlowe for some soft top parts but although it worked it was a bit notchy and when left running funny noises came from inside :shakehead: not a good sign but the blades were good and to make things better the fan blade was held in place with an allen screw.

By this time i was getting frustrated to say the least so i ask a friend to purchase a new one off the bay of e and an 18 inch one at that so it would be boss of the job but when it came the fitting of the fan was just some plastic ties that are threaded through the veins of the rad :shakehead: , you guessed it i didn't like that idea so i put it back in the box and went back to the motor i had cobbled up.

After a few brews i realized when i had cleaned the fan spindal down it was the same size as the kenlowe fan and went the way i needed it to run to so nothing wasted the motor is now bolted to my frame work fan fitted and not just relying on the allen stub but i also managed to fit a clip in a groove i made while running the motor and held a hacksaw in place so i now have a groove for a nice spring clip to sit in :nana1: .

Although i had to move my horn set up to another part of the front panel i now have a good electric cooling fan for the motor horns in place which was a concern and my grill with badges is now mounted and everything works as it should through relays with nicely soldered bullets for the rubber connectors.

Yes i know i could do the job quicker but tinkering and making something work that to be honest ended up a lot more sturdy and worked just as well gives one or maybe just me a lot of satisfaction :whistle: .

I am going to take a look at the seal beam units although have a good earth are more like candles on a foggy day :aaagh: in other words useless but then i have probably had them for years stashed away so maybe i will treat myself to a set of the modern type even if it means using better relays but then that's another day when it is not throwing it down with rain.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
gossamer

Re: HEC updates

Post by gossamer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Well done, Brad.

Keep at it.
To infirmary and beyond!
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:41 pm

G'day Matt, thanks and as you and i guess other's realize encouraging words help me keep my concentration and think positive rather than negative feed back that put's dought in ones mind that soon get's out of control :shrug: .

I must admit it has been a long haul to get as far as this and although not perfect it's how i like my truck's to be, functional and not being worried about scratching it or just dog slobber everywhere thank's to my St Bernard.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:22 pm

G'day chap's, only a small job but due to the fitment of my electric fan that's mounted inside the front panel for the radiator that also incorporates the headlights and double horns off a disco i had to move the bonnet catch :whistle: not that i mind having modified the bonnet stay anyway{pics when my lass can}.

That pointed catch has come down between my shoulders to many times in the past having caught the bonnet stay so i changed it to something different and i now feel comfortable tinkering under my bonnet without taking it off.

Having done the above it meant i needed to fit military bonnet catches but my brain a tape measure and numbers just don't like working together but where there is a will there is a way :wink: , well this is where the confusion really set in to measure and mark where holes have to be drilled so everything fits nice but not loose.

With a marker pen and tap measure i must have measured everything a dozen times before dot punching drilling and fitting the spring loaded catches to the wing but unfortunately i got side tracked and on my return i did what i normally do and reversed the procedure and fitted the bonnet part first then the spring loaded catch to the wing :thud:.

Oh dear!! as you might have guessed the tension on the spring loaded part was far to great so i had to find some alloy and make up spacers the shape of the part that bolts to the wing so it's not that noticeable now that part is painted and the fact i found another pair of the spring loaded parts that the spring is not so strong it made the job a tad better to use :embarassed: .

Having burnt a large part of my leg on the hot slash cut exhaust of my motor cycle while trying to get out of the gate the weeping burn started to give me some concern so i called it a day showered and Janie my lass gave me a roasting as the burn is deeper and bigger that i thought :shakehead: .

Maybe that's the reason of my mistake :wink: but then i have very little feeling in my legs so maybe not :laugh: .

woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:02 am

must admit I prefer taking bonnet off if I'm going to be working under it a for a while
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:00 pm

On my project vehicles where I don't have the spare wheels on the bonnets, I often unclip the bonnet stay and lift the bonnet right up to the windscreen and bungee to to somewhere, usually the door handles.

On our 'working' vehicles, the weight of the spare wheel helps to lock the stay in place, though Patrick & I both carry a length of wood the same length as the bonnet stay on top of the radiator panels and use it to prop the other side of the bonnet to complement the stay - it's not a nice thought for the bonnet to come down with a 7.50 ZXY on it!!

Bad news about your leg Brad - was it the V twin custom? You'll just have to get rid of it - I know someone who'd have it :gold:
Then again, I know of its history and why you want to keep it :cheers:

Keep going Brad - just shout if you need any help :tiphat:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:44 pm

I tend to either remove the bonnet or bungee to the roof rack as I find there's not enough space to work otherwise. I think the stays are in the garage....
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:43 pm

RMS wrote: Patrick & I both carry a length of wood the same length as the bonnet stay on top of the radiator panels and use it to prop the other side of the bonnet to complement the stay - it's not a nice thought for the bonnet to come down with a 7.50 ZXY on it!!
I added that to my SWB after Brad told me about his experience of being trapped under the bonnet after knocking the stay. It's stayed on top of the radiator ever since, regardless of if there's a wheel on there or not.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:45 pm

G'day chaps, i must say it's nice to know some people listen when i start waffling and get carried away about stories of my incidents while working on my trucks and to learn by them is even better :wink: .

To make matters worse the bonnet did have a wheel on it which was a 750 but the size of a 900 remold off a truck to match the other four that are still fitted to my ambulance camper but the spare now sit's else where.

Yes Robin it was that V twin that was getting it's own back on me having called it a beast among other things :whistle: which it is with plastic bits bolted on it but i guess that's motor cycles of today :shrug: .

I was going to fit some FWH but bending the leg was undoing what had started to heal so anything like that was out of the question, what with wearing shorts and only having the burn covered while in bed so it can get air to it and breath during the day i hope it will heal a tad quicker.

Well if nothing else i have been thinking of a nice but unusual way of locking the slide out canopy from inside so it can't be borrowed but is also safe when one put's there foot down not that i do that often as i tend to drive like i am still in a forty footer artic :laugh: , any words of advice on the latter subject would be good other than an R clip each side.

Got to go as nurse Janie is waiting to bandage my leg up for the night :aaagh: as she loves inflicting pain the little tinker :shakehead: even though i can't feel much: :wine: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat:
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:04 am

On Patrick's awning frame, we did use an R clip or something similar when we first fitted it, but stopped/forgot fairly quickly and it's never moved while travelling.

I have never put anything on mine to stop it moving, and that never moves either.

I think there's enough friction over the length of the tubes to keep it in place.

The original Carawagons had, I think, Terry spring clips riveted to the rear of the roof so the arch of the frame clipped in, but I don't thing I've seen any Carawagons with them still fitted, and I've never heard of a frame working its way loose during travelling.

However, if you want to stop it being 'borrowed' then yes, an R clip or something similar inside at the front end should work well. You should only need to fix one side.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)