HEC updates

Workshop and Technical tips & tricks.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: HEC updates

Post by romanyrose » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 pm

G'day chap's, as usual it has been a case of trying to find some alloy angle, unfortunately it is not a small bit but enough to go round the the rear floor of the 88.

I have plenty of angled bed iron but as you might have guessed they don't like each other and electrolysis takes place if that's the proper word which means you end up with nothing apart from a rivet.

Has anybody got any right angled alloy that will fit round the rear tub of the 88 please, as usual i work with what have or can utilize from something else but up till now i have not found any having used it all :shrug: .

Unfortunately funds are tight as usual but i have plenty of landrover trinket's to swop, i might be able to find a non landrover trinket if you say what you are after :whistle: , if you don't ask you don't get so i won't be offended if it is something not made in this country :laugh: .

Before i nod off to sleep i always think what i would like to achieve the next day, if anyone is reading this and has some length's of alloy angle that will help me achieve my repair if i haven't enough fund's i am sure i can find a landrover trinket or two to help with payment.

Catch you later. A hopeful Romany-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm

G'day chap's, i have just realized i often repeat myself :embarassed: , but this is far from intentional but i guess those that know me realize that.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 pm

G'day chap's, i know it does not sound a lot but since i last spoke it's been even more cases of cleaning off the old oil and grease so i can either repair if needed then prime - undercoat and top coat.

Of course as usual it has been a couple of coat's of each, then while drying i was making a better set up for my overdrive leaver that now has a grease nipple on the pivot too help with the dry rattle one get's when worn, of course this is made worse because of the length i like my lever due to me using the overdrive as a splitter without taking my hand off the gear knob's.

To be honest though since fitting Rose joint's to the overdrive linkage i feel a lot happier rather than just a bent rod, i was not quite honest with the above because i could only find one Rose joint having used all that i had acquired on my other truck's unless of course i come across one.

I must admit to spending to long looking for the tool's i normally use even though they are in one of those Big magnetic tray's they appear to have gone walk about :thud: , so much for the reason for buying a large magnetic tray :whistle: .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 pm

G'day chap's, it's the slow coach here again with a little more new's of what i have been attempting to achieve, with the clutch the 2a linkage now having a grease nipple in the end which to be honest is not just for lubrication but to keep sandy grit out. I know it sound's strange but i have made a leather sleeve that is tied round that area of the brass ball so i can lubricate and push any grinding grit out.

With the sleeve from the clutch pedal i have done the same but with a tight boot to stop oil going into the bell housing but allow's a drop of lubricant out of the other end. I guess i could just assembled it with grease but i am thinking long term with one small pump of grease to keep the water out.

Yes i know i am probably wasting my time one might think, but having taken so many dry joint's apart that have rusted i guess i go over the top and that's what i enjoy.

Sorry if i have not made myself clear :whistle: but when ever i take something apart that is either rusty or seized i have a bash at maybe making it so it at least won't, i know a picture say's a thousand word's but i am afraid i just can't get the hang of it.

Am i wasting my time :shrug: but i tell you what it makes me happy whether it is a good idea or not, i have done this many times on my motor's over the year's and never had any issue's unless of course i have not explained it that well .

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:05 am

Good evening for a change, having taken the rear floor out :whistle: as most people would know you only get a small lip to play with, well that to be honest is no good to me because if i lay on my back i spend literally ages trying to get back up on to my feet.
I know people take the mickey out of me something rotten, but also when i was a lorry driver/road sweeper it was while with the road sweeper i got a blockage inside the rear body. Thinking nothing of it i opened the back door and climbed inside which is when the hydraulic pipe burst that held the rear door open :aaagh: YEP! i was trapped inside along with dead rat's and the like :shakehead: .
Even thinking about it today makes my skin crawl but i at least got the obstruction out of the suction tube before the fact i was trapped literally blew my mind and i panicked beyond belief but it gave me strength, in fact it gave me so much strength i was able to force the door open and wedge the piece of wood from the suction tube between the rear door and back body :thud:. Believe me relief was not the word and the piece of wood that caused the problem i used to hold the door open while got out, i cleaned myself as best i could and went home to shower.
The next day a locking device was fitted to the rear door so it did not happen again, also the company were informed of this issue which was adapted to the truck's from then on.
I guess you all know now that it is not just my disability that put's me off going under my truck's to tinker also the reason why my rear floor's are held in place with riv-nut's instead of spot weld's.
Unfortunately have taken the rear floor out of HEC because of it's age i am having to put angle alloy all the way round the rear floor with the vertical part riveted to the wheel arches and the horizontal part will have Riv-Nut's to hold the rear floor in place.
Of course doing this mean's i can get to the chassis and tinker without having a panic attack while underneath, i know it cost's for the riv-nuts but with having more than one truck i think my old ticker will have an easier life. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm

I think that is a brilliant idea to rivnut the floor. So much easier access. :gold:

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:10 pm

G'day chap's, unfortunately for me I seem to be struggling lately, but it is not the cold it's me and my excuse for a body that seems to have ran out of steam. To be honest I need to cruise and it is the time of year I lay wreath's on my relatives resting place's down in Essex.
Since they passed it has been I feel my duty to lay wreath's at there resting places at Earls Colne down in Essex :shrug: , again I have been unable to get my traveling companion my 88 finished in time for my journey to tend the graves of my loved ones.
Annoyed with myself is not the word having not missed many year's of being able to lay wreath's during this time of year on there resting places. I should have worked faster and longer but I can't and to be honest I just enjoy tinkering which seems to take forever and a day :embarassed: but it is what I love doing.
Unfortunately Janie my young lady need's her car for work but also in case her mother who is not a well lady is taken ill again, there is of course nothing wrong in that but because I have not finished my 88 due to only being able to work at a snail's pace :whistle:, with my issue's my annual journey to tend graves/resting places is in jeopardy.
I guess as most will know I have my late father's ashes with me in what was his room/home, this is so we can be laid to rest together when my time comes, or if I can get down there just to lay him to rest first would be great. With a push I might be able to get my 88 done in the new year but that is a big might because my body has a mind of it's own.
Did I mention Panic attack's when I get in a small car :banghead: , well my lass has that to deal with now, so anybody with a 4x4 that I can borrow to trundle down to Essex to tend my families final resting places this would really be appreciated.
If you are worried about me driving your 4x4 don't, I was a lorry driver for many year's driving either a road sweeper or an artic low-loader for some extra pennies. Catch you later. Brad other wise known as Romanyrose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun May 06, 2018 10:04 pm

G'day chaps, well that's almost finished the rear section of the electrical loom with extra wires laid down just incase, the loom is or has a ring of electrical tape every six inches to hold it neat then some conduit off old car wiring harnesses clipped around the said loom nice and neat.
The loom is laid on the chassis and clipped in place again with some home made plastic type clips, doing this nothing can be caught or ripped off and tome anyway is pleasing to my eye's.

Before I start to get ready to clip the two piece floor in place I noticed a bit of under seal that had been painted over many years ago, this will be taken back to bare metal and treated before painting along with the inner part of the rear chassis.
If you remember my dear old dad only had one useful arm so did the best he could, regards doing it again it is only so it lasts longer than if I never bothered, baring in mind the truck was only my late fathers form of therapy to try and get his body going.

I have been told that I am wrong for doing what I am doing and undermining his work, this is not the case at all :shrug: having had a very serious stroke it gave him a goal to aim for, also the fact when it is done when I use the truck myself I will feel I am riding with him by my side. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat May 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Well chaps, today was much the same but what I seem to be achieving is making me feel pretty good about myself and I do get there in the end, my late father always said speed is not everything and to be honest job satisfaction is so rewarding in it'self.
Yes I am an aging Hippy which is why my paint job's/truck look's like it doe's, the fact I can just trundle off and be at ease with nature has always been my thing. From the age of 16 when I got my bike licence and I was off with dose {Sleeping} bag strapped to my cissy bar/king and queen seat.

Although I must admit that same alloy frying pan is still with me and my truck's today :whistle:, but to be honest it's more of what i used to use because people never believed me. However those that knew me from those day's have commented on the mentioned frying pan and can't believe it is the same one not it really bothers me because my son's know and they are now grown men.

Sorry for the waffling on but living at ease with nature is a big thing with me, the fact I can now use an 88 or the 24/12volter or my ambulance camper although petrol has anything one could ever need hence the name Romanyrose.

Catch you later. Brad/Romanyrose :tiphat: .
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Thu May 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Wow chap's! as you might have gathered I am getting towards the end of HEC'S camper make over, before I finally fit the rear floor, I to be honest would like to fit riv-nut's instead of rivets but using mastic just to make sure any imperfection's in the angle the rear floor sit's on is sealed.
Yes over the top as usual maybe but it makes me happy and to be honest that is why I do what I do, although it has been said many times I go over the top :shrug:. To be honest I don't know where I can get some alloy sheet the size of the rear floor in the 88, other than asking on here I also need it transporting to my place to, even though I have a three wheeled tricycle with ape hangers I think it will prove a tad awkward to say the least :whistle: .
As usual I feel I am asking a lot but my body I feel is in need of a rest, or should I say is starting to tell me to try and take on smaller job's so I can at least shower after I have finished tinkering comfortably.

Answers on a post card please, or of course a reply on here would be nice :wink: . Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .