MAYDAY COAST GUARD CALLED SOS

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
navyboyz

MAYDAY COAST GUARD CALLED SOS

Post by navyboyz » Fri May 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Well I was patrolling the northern roads on my way to the mot station, the voyage went well, i came along side and docked,when i started her up there was a metallic noise and a bang sounded like a direct hit :shrug: , investigations went ahead bit by bit and she was sinking slowly, the further in we got the life rings came out, the cylinder head came off the tears started :cry: , the bloody thing has taken 3 valves and a piston :rant: , the seats have given and pulled the valves into the head, the shards have embedded into the top of the piston :thud: , the rescue vessel arrived and wouldn't rescue as we had already investigated the problem and it was at the garage, had to make another SOS call and awaiting for a friend with a trailer to bring her home, won't be sailing for a while never mind worst things happen at sea.
RMS

Re: MAYDAY COAST GUARD CALLED SOS

Post by RMS » Fri May 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Oh dear, oh dear - I didn't notice a flare going up!

So was this a result of the ongoing tappet tightening problem, do you think?

Good luck - is it a rebuild or another engine?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
navyboyz

Post by navyboyz » Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 pm

flares got wet sank too fast
valve 1 we had the problem with the tightening tappet, seat gone but not bad at all considering, valve 7 trapped shards in the seat, valve 8 is about 1.5 mm into the head, no 4 piston looks like a rabid dog has chewing it, the bore is good no scoring,will need new piston,and head sending in will have new hardened seats put in followers checked and new valves, i will take the head the end of next week to have it looked at, so we will be in the dock for a time, we will have to use Kaths new series 2 support vehicle to run around in, god help me
Chris
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri May 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Sounds like a good plan - hardened seats, not the support vehicle :neener:

That should future-proof it and give you many more years cresting the waves!

I don't suppose you'll have it done in time for the pub meet on the 14th? You could all pile into Jonnys, if he's got his diff done!

Blimey, just realised, does that mean you're two Land Rovers down at the moment?

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RobW

Post by RobW » Sat May 30, 2015 9:41 am

Sorry to hear that. What's the "tightening tappet problem"?

Hardened seats sounds uncomfortable!
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat May 30, 2015 11:41 am

G'day Chris, yep slow at thinking but i guess you want to keep that truck original with it's engine but please think on what i said on the phone it really is not a problem however if you need someone to help if only verbally i can find a way of getting up there because i will do anything for your lasses baking :whistle: .

Oh! and i have to say it on here for you to take notice but you have helped me enough so it is only proper i help you in anyway i can :wink: SO NOW I HAVE SAID IT FOR ALL TO SEE :neener: if you really get stuck my friend with anything please RING ME anytime day or night it's not a problem even if you want PETE to go a Hunting it will be a laugh if nothing else.

NO MEDALS required just friendship that goes a long way in my books :wine: .

Catch you later, a man built like an-aging silver back but with a mind of an aging HIPPIE :cactus:
navyboyz

Post by navyboyz » Sat May 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Sorry for the delay
I don't think she will be done for the pub meet, but we will hopefully be there in the support vehicle, Jonny's is now back on the road but he's too tight to lend me it, he says I'll break it .

The no 1 tappet kept on tightening, Brad informed me it was valve regression due to the unleaded petrol even though i used a lead replacement. At my own cost with the damage, I should have reacted on his advice sooner [ i am an idiot] so the next head will have hardened valve seats to run unleaded with no problem HOPEFULLY.

Brad i value your friendship and advice, thats why i always trouble you with our problems makes a change from Jonny's motor, we will meet up soon, well who can resist an ageing silver back

See you all soon Chris the sunken sailor