Long Trips - What makes life comfy?

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
Marque

Long Trips - What makes life comfy?

Post by Marque » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen

I know a significant number of Dormi & Carawagons go on long trips. So seeking to learn from your experience what bits, bobs, gadgets & gizms's really make life comfortable? I am expecting a few surpises & counter-intuitive suggestions born out of experience.

I am expecting an cab heater is top of the list. Thereafter though I would be very interested to hear your advice.
Kindest regards
M
DrivingDutchman

Re: Long Trips - What makes life comfy?

Post by DrivingDutchman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Indeed, a cab heater would be high on my list.
Next I would say a toilet (portapotty) especially if you travel with wife and kids.
My wife has the fridge next on the list although one could argue that it is nit realy needed when you source local food wherever you travel.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Peaceand

Post by Peaceand » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:42 pm

I find a small bluetooth speaker (and a phone to play the music from) to be nice if travelling alone. Especially if the weather's bad and you are inside the vehicle for an evening.

A few candles, which do a decent job of attracting and incinerating annoying insects as well as providing light and a bit of heat.

A proper quilt/duvet is excellent if you have space for it, to lay on top of in summer, or to put over the top of a sleeping bag in winter.

My girlfriend would probably opt for a nice set of kitchen knives and a herb/spice collection. Apparntly a 3 inch paring knife and a salt shaker aren't sufficient :shrug:

Oh, and finally a drinks cupboard, I have one compartment reserved for cider, whisky and similar.

Patrick
  • Holly - 1972 Searle Carawagon Continental Ultimate (200 TDi)
  • Basil - 1969 Searle SWB (Prima TD)
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm starting to look at this myself I'd say for overnight stops a toilet tent for the porta poti also can I add plenty of storage space
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Knowing (and agreeing) how far to travel in a day, not being too rigid, and not being cold in the night - which means she hasn't got to go too far for a wee !
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Oh, and Bombay Sapphire with Lidls tonic and fresh lemon, in big glasses :gold:
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:42 am

If it's just me - absolute basics.

If SWMBO is on the trip - the trailer becomes necessary !

And any stay more than a ' long weekend' - means the caravan !!
RMS

Post by RMS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:20 am

Some of my suggestions:

Sat nav - no arguing over "You should have turned left back there!" or "you didn't tell me in time!" with the navigator and her paper maps!
It's also nice to see how far you've still got to go, and what time you should be arriving.

Some way to keep warm - a firepit for outside in the evenings - it only needs to be a simple bowl type, even a cheap round BBQ, which can fit on the roof rack upside down (watch the legs though :wink: ) and you can buy charcoal almost everywhere so you don't need to haul logs around.
And, of course, a Diesel powered cab heater for warming the vehicle up when getting dressed/undressed - that's my favourite luxury :whistle:
Nothing worse than being cold and miserable when it's supposed to be a holiday!

Proper pillows for sleeping and for the navigator to rest her weary head against the door pillar! If you have proper down filled pillows and a stuff sack they don't take up much room at all.

Fridge - not strictly necessary, but a small compressor fridge for milk, cheese, meat and beer is useful. Yes, you can and probably should buy local, but it saves having to find shops every day - just one less task.
Then of course an aux battery, and if you are not driving every day, a solar panel to keep it charged, unless you get a 12V/gas fridge, though you then have to remember to turn the gas on and light it when you stop.

Having places for everything helps as well - it's not good piling everything in the back only to have to pull it all out and stuff it under the 'wagon in the rain so you can set the bed up or even get to the cooker and food! If it doesn't fit, see if something can be left behind! Things like collapsible bowl, bucket take up less space, and I know Alex and Esther only take the clothes which fit in their Dormobile wardrobe. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:48 am

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... ll-cabinet
Thinking of getting one of these to put some junk in when traveling should sit on top of wheel box
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:50 am

woollen797 wrote:https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... ll-cabinet
Thinking of getting one of these to put some junk in when traveling should sit on top of wheel box
what is your wheel box?

When abroad, I carry 2 spares (front on bonnet and on swingaway rear) plus a spare tube, (as 750 x 16s aren't that popular in france etc) so I don't have a wheel box