Cool box & porta-potty

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
RobW

Cool box & porta-potty

Post by RobW » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:49 am

Just looking a some bits for the Carawagon. Any comments on these, and also a heads up as they're on sale.

Porta-potty. Not sure how it can have a 10l waste tank and only weigh 5kg..... Either way it'll fit in the roof rack for transit & can live underneath during the day.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-tra ... et-p342818

Cool box. Short term, may look for a Waco unit once I know we need a decent fridge.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outwell-eco ... 0v-p444116
RMS

Re: Cool box & porta-potty

Post by RMS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Good price on both of those Rob.

A porta-potty is a porta-potty - can't see why that one wouldn't be fine, though the weight quoted will be dry.

Re. the cooler - that's a good price for that type of cooler.
A couple of things to be aware of though, in case you didn't know. It will only cool to 18C below ambient temperature, so if the outside (or inside your camper) temperature is above about 22C the inside cooler temperature could rise to above 5C.
Also, they are very power hungry. Ok if you are using a leisure battery and fairly large solar panel, but even then if you leave it on overnight you will flatten your battery as there's no thermostat on these (as far as I know) so while ever it's plugged in to your battery it will be sucking power!
If it looks like a hot weekend you could help it along by freezing a 4 pint or 6 pint milk bottle full of water in your home freezer and putting it in the cooler - also running it on mains for a few hours before you set off should help.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 pm

One thing to keep in mind about the porta potty. We had one from go outdoors and that one was made out of very thin plastic. I didn't find it very sturdy and it even was leaking, I had to go back and change it for a good one. You get what you pay for... We now have a fiamma I believe, much better quality, a bit more expensive I'll admit.

Regarding the cooler, do you run it off a leisure battery? If not, don't leave it running while camped up, it'll drain the starting battery. A solar panel will help prolong the charge though.

I hope I don't sound too negative, I know it is also all about what one can afford at the time. Compressor fridges are notoriously expensive, but they are well worth it.
I started also out with a cheap (much cheaper then the one your link shows) cooler and it drained my battery in 3 hours flat.

Weaco are good value for money, I think even they are very similar to the ARB ones.

Tip of the day... We use our fridge to do the shopping. We put all the frozen stuff, fresh vegies and yoghurts etc in there and don't have to return home so quickly after shopping. usually we go to do something fun and the shopping stays fresh.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
RobW

Post by RobW » Sat May 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks Michiel. I got a Thetford in the end as it wasn't much more money and seemed a lot more reliable. Leisure battery is already fitted and I'm looking at solar panels once we start using it (hopefully soon). I've also seen some vertical axis wind turbines, too expensive for now, but might be a viable option in a few years.
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Thetford are good porta potties. Good choice.

A wind turbine is what I have been thinking about too in addition to the solar panels. But I was looking at a 3 or 5 blade turbine on a erectable pole. Haven't looked at the vertical axis turbines actually. I always thought that the (normal) horizontal axis turbines were more efficient. But I have never properly researched the differences.

It needs to store away neatly and compact too.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
RobW

Post by RobW » Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm

The vertical axis units are better for variable direction conditions like you'll find on site with trees as they don't need to re-orientate for the wind. There's a lot of work going into them for urban use as turbulence will reduce efficiency on the windmill types.

Not sure about efficiency, but you're probably correct for an ideal situation and for higher up. We're not likely to find either on a camp site!
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat May 19, 2018 10:45 am

G'day Chaps, you guy's are going to think I am a little out of my head :whistle: , in the past I have used a small pushbike wheel and fitted light weight sails diagonally to the spokes. I mounted a car dynamo on a flat plate with a push bike gear fitted, of course the regulator {old type} was wired up to the dynamo, of course those that area ware of these old regulator boxes realize to can alter the cut in or cut out along with the charge rate through an amp meter.

Unlike alternators that to be honest take some turning when charging the dynamo is a tad different, of course I have done this in the past after being shown by my late father which was his way of charging batteries many years ago. Of course when people had to use what they either had or could make because funds were very tight in those day's, you will see one on a camper of mine that of course will stand out because of me and pretty colours.

The last one I made got pinched because it was a working in progress sort of thing, like everything I do it will come all in good time but this time fastened so it does not get pinched or should I say borrowed on a permanent basis.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .