Garage/Workshop fire protection

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
RMS

Garage/Workshop fire protection

Post by RMS » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm sure I'm not alone in having worries about fire in my barn.
How many of us do grinding/welding and don't keep a 30 minute fire watch after we've finished to make sure nothing is hidden and smouldering ? I know I don't!

Some years ago I spotted some automatic extinguishers hanging from the rafters in a local MOT garage, which looked like a possible solution.

They look a bit like dumpy gas bottles, and are basically dry powder extinguishers with glass bulbs which break at around 60C, setting off the extinguisher, flooding the area under and around the extinguisher.
I realise dry powder isn't the best thing to cover tools and parts with, but much better than everything going up in flames, in my opinion.

I've made some enquiries and there are several factories in China who supply dealers here, but can't ship them pressurised.
I'm now making enquiries with some UK suppliers, but just wondered if anyone might be interested in a bulk buy?

I haven't got any firm prices yet, but the bigger ones (10kg, 12kg) retail at around £80, I think.
I'm pretty sure a bulk buy would bring that price down.

How much interest would there be?

Let me know so I have some idea of what negotiating power we might have.

I'll probably be looking at around 6 or 8 to cover my 72' x 42' barn, but a more 'normal' size garage/workshop could just need one or two.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
RMS

Re: Garage/Workshop fire protection

Post by RMS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:22 am

I'm getting some interest from other fora about these, and have had some questions asked about lifespan and delivery (not many carriers will deliver pressurised extinguishers), so here's what I have posted in reply:

Right, some answers from the supplier:

"Automatic extinguishers require no maintenance as such, except an annual check that the gauge is still in the Green area, and we would recommend (although not essential) that the unit is weighed once a year too, to ensure no powder is leaking out in the event of a faulty gauge. In practice, leaking powder is very visible therefore a visual check would be enough.
There is a simple method to test the gauge to ensure its working.

The units have a 5 year warranty, therefore I would recommend a replacement after 5 years.

In relation to carriage of pressurized extinguishers, we use a Parcel Carrier (UK Mail) and a pallet carrier (TPN) who are both authorised and willing to carry these goods."

The cost for each one would be £69 if we get 20+ orders, including delivery directly to the end user, saving me stockpiling them and having folk collect them.
This is quite a saving as they are around £80 retail plus delivery!

I need to compile a list and send one order off to the supplier to take advantage of the 20+ discount.

I would need payment before placing the bulk order, but I'll let everyone know when that is needed - I don't want to be hanging on to your money for weeks, nor do I want to be placing the order without receiving payment!
Payment can be made by paypal (if you use friend/family and accept any charges), bank transfer or cheque in the post.

If you are interested in these, please PM me with your full name, address and phone number.

Cheers,
Robin.

PS. Details of the actual extinguisher HERE
(Robin on S2C forum)
RMS

Post by RMS » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:22 am

I'm struggling to get to the 20 minimum order for these - not sure if it's the price putting folk off :shrug:

To get the discounted price, with delivery directly to you included, the order has to be completed in one go - we cannot add extra items on later.
So if you want one, please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:01 pm

G'day Robin, don't ask me how i missed these or even your post come to that :stars: , that does sound like a good idea having had some yob's setting fire to my old garage at the house.

Luckily the garage thief alarm went off due to the heat from the fire :aaagh: i broke the door down to extinguish it and the firemen saw to the outside, believe me i don't get frightened very easy at all but that fire haunted me for a very long time.

I think what really amazed me was the fact the firemen knew when! where! and how! the fire was started.

Bless them i some times wonder if people really give them credit for what they do, i know i felt helpless while they just got stuck in to save my gear that took year's to collect.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Robin
Do you have me down for a couple ?

Alex
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi Alex,

Yes, I've got you down for two.

Thanks,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Mine arrived today :nana1:

Many thanks for doing this Robin :tiphat:

I only hope I can install the things before too long !!
RMS

Post by RMS » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi Alex,

Yes, they had just a few in stock, so sent some out without waiting for me to get the 20 orders to them.

It's good of them to do that; I just hope I don't let them down by not getting at least 20 orders - not sure what they would do though, as the discount was dependent on at least 20 :embarassed:

I think they have sent 8 out, so some will be lucky and others (like me) will have to wait until they get more stock in, possibly late February :thud:

They had over 100 in stock just before Christmas, so they are obviously a good seller.

Let us know how you get on fitting them Alex, tips for those of us still waiting :cheers:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:42 pm

G'day Robin, I don't know if I have mention this but when some yob's set fire to a canvas sheet that was covering a chassis at the back of my garage at the old house, this chassis had been wax oiled inside and out, there was also plenty of oil and the like on that old lorry sheet to protect the new chassis from the elements even though it was out of the way.

I guess I was lucky because I fit alarms to everything if I can that is but even more so now, but I must admit to this day when that alarm went off then I saw the flames I am sure I loss a good few years of my life, it was TERRIFYING to say the least.

According to the firemen it was started by the help of a human :shrug: how they knew that I don't know but it will remain stuck in my brain till the day I pass on, stupid maybe but helpless is not a word that would describe how I felt for a very long time.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .

Sorry if I have repeated myself regards this post but talking about it will help me put it back to the back of my brain where I had lodged it away :embarassed: .