Cool box / refrigerator suggestions?

Any other discussions not to do with Classic Campers.
RMS

Re: Cool box / refrigerator suggestions?

Post by RMS » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:13 pm

jkhackney wrote: A refrigerator probably weighs as much as a spare wheel, more or less?
-Jeremy
Much less than a spare wheel, unless you are looking at the really big ones.

My 25l Waeco weighs 12Kg (from the specs), but I suppose once you fill it with cans of beer it will weigh quite a bit more :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Our fridge travels on the rear spare seat or on the rear floor, if we are 4 up. I have made table that clips on to the back of the rear crossmember and as soon as we stop, the table is clipped on and the fridge placed on it. Great when we are brewing up as I can reach the kettle, the water. the tea and the milk. Sorted!

The simple changes I have made to the wardrobes I make, have seriously increased how useful they are.

Redesigning the rear table at the moment. MK11 version soon available.
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:14 pm

jkhackney wrote:Hmm, as much as I love the idea of travelling in an original vehicle, those wardrobes aren't the most useful things. We use it for storing things that could be stored in any old box anywhere. I could store it in the garage at home and replace with somethign more useful.

I like the additional shelving you have around the fridge, Michiel, and the hooks. Where do you store water, now?

I thought of putting the fridge on the rear door, outside, and running it off a battery that I'd plug into the split charging circuit I built into the caravan socket. I already have a handcart that I modified to fit on the rear tire carrier, instead of a spare wheel. It's removeable for carting heavy stuff around campsites.

The idea would be to place the fridge and battery in a metal box on that cart. Alternatively, I could put the battery on the water bottle shelf inside, with the wires going through the door. I suppose the box would be necessary to keep dust out and to keep people from playing with the fridge when we're parked.

A refrigerator probably weighs as much as a spare wheel, more or less?
-Jeremy
I had first reservations in the modifications needed to make camping life with 4 easier. But in the great sceme of things I find it more important to have a vehicle that works for me than the originality. Most of the changes can be undone if need be, some not.

The problem with keeping the fridge outside is when the weather isn't nice i.e. Rain, cold etc. Plus that the fridge needs to be locked.

Behind the top door above the fridge we keep towels, toletries etc. The hooks are for the t-towels. Behind the bottom door livesour porta potty and shoes. The door is made the same as the original wardrobe. It doubles up as a seat for cooking and as a step to get into the bunk beds.

Our clothes we keep each in their own weekend bag behind the rear seats left and right. So we have the whole isle free for the dog.

The water I carry in a 20ltr jerrycan on the front bumper. The nato jerry cans don't fit in the carriers of the wardrobe anyway, although the wardrobe Mick makes has adapted carriers that will take a nato jerrycan. Also the wardrobe is a bit wider and longer than the original one to accomodate the fridge. If you use a smaller fridge, you can have a smaller wardrobe. Only downside I have with my fridge is that the lid cannot open fully, it hits the rear end of the roof. If you have an engele or weaco, the lid can slide off and then you don't have that issue.

Hope this discription gives a better idea...

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 pm

G'day matey, i like your discretion of where you put everything just to make room for man's best friend the dog, it really made me chuckle to know i am not on my own to make sure my little dog has plenty of room.
My old St Bernard is ok curled up when going to sleep but is like a melting ice-cream :whistle: , when she wakes up i have a quarter of the bed while she has the rest :laugh: .
At least she keep's me warm till she start's dreaming and pinches MY bed clothes :thud: .

Catch you later. Brad :tiphat: .
jkhackney
Info: It's not misspelled, it's American

Post by jkhackney » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Ack, I couldn't fit a mouse in mine much less a dog!

We pack too much stuff!

-Jeremy
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:14 pm

jkhackney wrote:Ack, I couldn't fit a mouse in mine much less a dog!

We pack too much stuff!
If it was up to SWMBO to pack, I would have to ask her to drive the Transit van we would need following behind !

Ian
Teriann
Info: 1960 Dormobile Hybrid

Post by Teriann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

jkhackney wrote: I found an 80W peak solar panel that would fit perfectly on the front part of the roof, 1500 x 350 mm, like a tropical roof sheet.The idea of putting a charging system together is interesting at the moment, even if it's not necessary, seeing as how a pretty modest-sized battery will last so long!
I suggest not building solar panels onto your roof. There are portable designs that have the controller built onto the back. You just unfold them, point the panels at the sun and plug it into the tuck to charge your second battery. This allows you to camp with your vehicle in the shade and keep your panels pointed directly into the sun by moving them every few hours. You can put the panels inside when away from the truck and you don't have to worry about weather or other damage to your panels. I have 60 watt panels and they will charge the battery with the compressor fridge running throughout the day.

I agree with everyone else, a compressor fridge is the only effective choice.

TeriAnn______________

web site http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/
Land Rover based motor caravans http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/#caravan