Ripon Classic Car Show, 3rd May

Please post any events or shows here.
RMS

Ripon Classic Car Show, 3rd May

Post by RMS » Sun May 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Well, a bit of a washout for this show, I'm afraid!

We had arranged to meet Steve at Wetherby services on Saturday - Patrick, Eddy and I were waiting there when he phoned - he was at the services roundabout, blocking the outside lane and being abused by a Volvo driver who asked why he hadn't put his hazard lights on :thud: I heard Steve's response over the phone :embarassed:
Anyway, it turned out to be just his overdrive selector which had slipped, so he managed to engage overdrive and we carried on to the showground where he fixed it :cheers:

Just Steve, Patrick & Eddy and myself camped overnight.
There was a cold wind blowing and we were worried we hadn't brought enough wood for the fire, but it lasted until nearly midnight when we retired, Eberspachers warming our Carawagons, to our beds!

Sunday morning was wet, wet, wet!

Normally, when we rise at 07:30 :whistle: at this show, the classic cars are streaming in through the gate, but this morning there was just a scattering of vehicles arriving in heavy rain by 09:30.

Kath, Chris, Jonny & Pete were there with their Royal Navy SWB & Jonny's SWB when we emerged from our vehicles - trying unsuccessfully to boil a kettle on a stove with a frozen butane bottle! So I put the kettle on my stove (I switched to propane last year) and soon got them warmed up.
Kath repaid the compliment later with scones, jam & cream!

We had put up our awning tarps when we arrived, so we kept pretty dry throughout the rain, just braving a couple of foraging trips to the few stalls which turned up.

The rain eased by lunchtime, the sun came out and everything started warming up :cheers:
The organiser told us that he had nearly 500 exhibitors booked in - I reckon there were well under half that number eventually arriving, so a pretty poor turnout from some the Classic Car fraternity - probably polishing their precious vehicles in their heated garages :wink:

Although the public were also noticeable by their absence, we still had a good stream of folk admiring our vehicles so we were kept fairly busy.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)