2018 Series II Rally

Please post any events or shows here.
Jonny72

2018 Series II Rally

Post by Jonny72 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Earlier today, I posted a message on the Series 2 Forum, outlining the initial plans for the 2018 Series 2 Rally, which will be held 2-5 August 2018 at Rutland Water, East Midlands.

There are quite a few changes to the business model proposed for next year’s S2 Rally. It’ll be self-financing without a grant or subsidy and will be organised by a ‘new’ and enthusiastic group of Series Land Rover owners who are motivated only by sharing tips and tricks for getting the most enjoyment out of their Land Rovers and to keep them running.

2018 will mark not only the 60th anniversary of the Series II, but also the 70th Anniversary of the first production Series 1s. So it’ll be especially poignant to mark all marks and variants of the Land Rover brand at our Rally in 2018. And in this regard, it’d be especially good to have some Carawagons and Dormobiles complementing the Rally line up, whether Series or later. In my capacity as organizer of the 2018 Rally, (and as a very new Carawagoneer), I’d like to make sure that all in the LRCC Community feel welcome to join in. Below, I’ve included the note I posted on the Series 2 Forum, which gives more details, as well as attaches a Dropbox link to the Rally Registration Form. And just to make clear, it’s not a requirement to be a Series 2 Club member to come along.

“The East Midlands Area is looking forward to welcoming you to Rutland Water, the venue chosen for the Land Rover Series 2 Club’s 15th Annual Club Rally, 2nd to 5th August 2018.

Rutland Water, in the heart of Rutland, in the heart of England is an area of outstanding natural beauty, and an established and popular choice of venue for classic car rallies.

Find out more about what there is to see and do in Rutland :
https://www.discover-rutland.co.uk

We’re starting to put together a draft programme of different things to do for those who plan to stay at Rutland Water as part of a longer holiday. This initial draft programme will change as we continue to refine our plans, but gives a sense of some of the activities we can do, whether you’re coming with or without the family.

One of the interesting sights on Rutland Water’s South Shore is Normanton Church. It was saved when the Rutland Water was created in the 70s and is now a popular place to visit.

The village of Egleton, on the edge of the Nature Reserve, is a great place to visit for nature-watchers :
https://www.rutlandwater.org.uk/awbc/

The main Campsite selected for the Rally is at Wing Hall. It’s a family-owned Estate set in beautiful rolling countryside that offers traditional camping and caravan accommodation. It’s a dog-friendly Campsite, and allows off-ground fire-pits. There’s an on-site shop with local produce and camping essentials, cycle-hire and an independent cafe-bar that provides freshly cooked meals.
http://www.winghall.co.uk

The Kings Arms Pub is just next-door (85 paces), and offers great ales, food and accommodation.
http://www.thekingsarms-wing.co.uk

The Rally will make use of Wing Village Hall for evening Social events during the Rally.

There are plenty of other local accommodation options if you prefer not to stay under canvas. Prices range from about £50 per night and up. Rutland Water is a popular holiday destination, and B&B/Hotel accommodation tends to book up fast.

Planning some green-lanes and off-roading around Rutland. We also plan two half-days of off-roading at Tixover Quarry and Rockingham Land Rover Experience tracks.

Tixover will be a nice, safe, mildly challenging, non damaging route set up in very much the same way as is done for the LRO show. Land Rover Experience tracks at Rockingham may also be open to us, subject to sufficient booking numbers. Cost will be around £15 - £20 for each 1/2 day.

We’re planning a group visit to the Nene Valley Railway, as used by James Bond, Harry Potter and Thomas the Tank Engine.
http://www.nvr.org.uk

For younger members, there’s plenty to do at the Rutland Water Aqua Park, the Beach (weather permitting), Bugtopia Zoo and Rutland Farm Park.

Plenty of Stately Homes and Heritage buildings to see, including Rockingham Castle, Bede House, Grimsthorpe Castle, Kirby Hall, Burghley House. Some are free to visit, others charge an entry fee.

Take a morning to explore Rutland’s Museum and visit Oakham Castle to discover more about the County’s association with Horseshoes.

After some green-laning and a scenic drive, we visit Melton Mowbray, home of Stilton Cheese and its famous Pork Pies

We’re planning to take the group on a cruise around Rutland Water.

Or if you’re feeling more energetic, bring your bike to cycle the 26-mile perimeter around the Water. There are plenty of pubs and cafés along the route for refreshments. Cycle hire is also available from the campsite, and from dedicated shops on Rutland Water’s North and South shores.

We’ve booked 40 seats at The Wheatsheaf, our local ‘pub meet’ venue for an evening meal together. Reasonably priced, great food.
http://www.wheatsheafedithweston.co.uk

Next Steps :

>> Download the attached Registration Form here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp2ccc1snqmnc ... n.pdf?dl=0

>> Return your completed Registration Form to rally@series2club.co.uk or send to : Rally, Series 2 Club Ltd, BM 7035, London WC1N 3XX,

>> Pay the Rally registration fee (£10 per vehicle / £5 day pass) by PayPal to rally@series2club.co.uk or by Credit Card - call 01925 722 286, or attach a cheque payable to ‘Series 2 Club Ltd.’ to your completed Registration Form.

>> Book your accommodation requirements :
— Caravan / Camping at Wing Hall : https://winghall.checkfront.co.uk/reserve/
— hotels.com / booking.com : search around ‘Wing, Oakham, Rutland, UK’

>> Get your Land Rover ready for the Summer” :)
1971 Carawagon ‘Ultimate’ (currently undergoing restoration)
RMS

Re: 2018 Series II Rally

Post by RMS » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Well done John, for successfully putting together the business plan for this event :tiphat:

Let's see how many campers we can get there - just checking the diaries for events next year, and I don't think it clashes with anything as exciting as this one :cheers:

Cheers, and thanks,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
wagoner

Post by wagoner » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:59 pm

My god at last , a series two nat that's not devoted to mud and filth ,I joined the club and went to a national at some disgusting muddy field and listened to a weekend of bitching and back stabbing spared only by a very nice and enthusiastic lady who I understand has just got married ,I will try this one and hope that the club is re borne ,I am somewhat surprised by the fact that it is self financing when there is huge amounts of money in the clubs bank account waiting for what .? This is a beautifull part of the country bring your bikes Trevj
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:21 am

Looks tempting although looking at the activities I'm not sure there will be time to spend at the show itself :)
Jonny72

Post by Jonny72 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:56 pm

woollen797 wrote:Looks tempting although looking at the activities I'm not sure there will be time to spend at the show itself :)
Many thanks for the positive comments. I think the S2 Club has changed direction and now has a strenthened Board with clearer business focus.

I’ve deliberately proposed several activities for Rally-goers to pick and choose from, creating the choice; from a gentle meander around Rutland Water to more active pursuits, customised according to individual interest, budget and family considerations.

I echo the recommendation to bring a bike - cycle paths are found all around Rutland Water with good pubs and cafés to visit en route whilst catching second wind.
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:41 pm

G'day chap's, reading this has really made my day, having really been down in the dump's for reason's i won't go into this has really excited me and given me a goal i can't miss.

Although i have always enjoyed my trundles and camping alone in wood's of my home land surrounded by nature and boiling water from a stream etc, for some reason this has got me really excited just like my Bike rallies of years gone by.

Having found a friend from many year's ago and is going to the event to me it is just an added bonus {he remembers the biking day's of year's gone by} of course it includes friends of these day's not that i have seen many for a good while.

What with being a bit of a recluse trying to deal what life keep's throwing at me seem's to get a tad harder these day's, but it seem's i am nearly back on my feet again and actually back to tinkering with my love affair's which of course are my truck's.

I know they are far from standard but they are my home on wheel's, along with all my trinket's that reflect the way i live my life, the company of like minded people is all that are normally missing.

Sorry for the waffling on but for the first time in a good while i am looking forward to the future.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
RobW

Post by RobW » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Looks promising, and may see about booking in the New Year. Is it £20/night for a Carawagon or did we get a discount?
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:21 pm

G'day chap's, i have just notice there is a limit on this but the part of my brain that fill's in form's like that doesn't understand :embarassed: the complexity of all those words WOW! is a nightmare.

Unfortunately my lass has family issue's with her mother who is a very poorly lady, i guess i feel guilty or just stupid if i asked for help filling in the form but i am going to anyway.

I would like to spend the hole time there with my caravan just to be among friends and of course my obsession/hobby Landrovers.

I will probably get into trouble for asking for help with the form :shrug: , but bless her she has enough on her plate as it is and i am just trying to lighten the load off her.

My or our intention is to be there from the beginning to the end for two and i will pay by cheque that won't bounce, can any help with the form filling please :shrug: it will be really appreciated.

:cheers: to anybody that will help me get this form to who ever is organizing the rally, i can put a cheque in the post not a problem as long as i know who it need's paying to. I know it might seem a very strange request but my disability can be a real pain when it comes to filling in form's that to me look like a load of jumbled up words :banghead: .

To those that don't know me :embarassed: yes i feel silly for asking but my truck's are what my life revolves around and i don't want to miss this rally for personal reason's.

romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:38 pm

G'day chap's, i have just notice there is a limit on this but the part of my brain that fill's in form's like that doesn't understand :embarassed: the complexity of all those words WOW! is a nightmare.

Unfortunately my lass has family issue's with her mother who is a very poorly lady, i guess i feel guilty or just stupid if i asked for help filling in the form but i am going to anyway.

I would like to spend the hole time there with my caravan just to be among friends and of course my obsession/hobby Landrovers.

I will probably get into trouble for asking for help with the form :shrug: , but bless her she has enough on her plate as it is and i am just trying to lighten the load off her.

My or our intention is to be there from the beginning to the end for two and i will pay by cheque that won't bounce, can any help with the form filling please :shrug: it will be really appreciated.

:cheers: to anybody that will help me get this form to who ever is organizing the rally, i can put a cheque in the post not a problem as long as i know who it need's paying to. I know it might seem a very strange request but my disability can be a real pain when it comes to filling in form's that to me look like a load of jumbled up words :banghead: .

To those that don't know me :embarassed: yes i feel silly for asking but my truck's are what my life revolves around and i don't want to miss this rally for personal reason's.

Robin or Patrick could you forward my post to the series two forum please due to me putting it on the wrong forum to start with, i am by the way in bed ill and have been for a few day's and i have to lay back down. Thank's :tiphat: .
Jonny72

Post by Jonny72 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 am

RobW wrote:Looks promising, and may see about booking in the New Year. Is it £20/night for a Carawagon or did we get a discount?
Rob,

The ‘£20 per night’ fee for a camper levied by Wing Campsite might be appropriate to the Campers with Water/electric hook-ups, toilets etc. as may be the usual type of campers to visit. These newer camper vehicles would normally park in a dedicated area closeby to the caravans - a short walk from the field which is reserved for the Rally Campers.

If I would decide to take my Carawagon I would prefer to pitchup in the Rally field and therefore pay for a single pitch, at £9.50/night, perhaps with a Caranex or dome tent.

I’ll visit Wing Campsite today and just clear this with them....

John