LPG conversion kits

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
Cyberdiddle
Info: '63 2A and '73 S3 Carawagon

LPG conversion kits

Post by Cyberdiddle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:34 am

I'd like to put some longer trips in but fuel economy is an obstacle (1973 2.25 petrol and about 17 mpg). Rather than go down the 200 TDi route I was thinking of LPG. Have any members had experience of this? What kit did you use and how easy was it to install?
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: LPG conversion kits

Post by romanyrose » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:58 pm

G'day chaps, I to would like the idea of keeping a few of my petrol's, any advice of where to start with the best way to go about this upgrade would be appreciated. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
RobW

Post by RobW » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm

I understand they're fairly simple as it's a case of squirting gas/liquid into the carb. The drawback as I see it is where to put the tank, and is it available where you want to go?
Cyberdiddle
Info: '63 2A and '73 S3 Carawagon

Post by Cyberdiddle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I have come across a firm called Tinley Tech that produce a conversion kit for about £450 plus VAT for the basic model. Some careful measuring is required to choose a suitably-sized tank(s) but it should be possible to sling one or more underneath. The front end for a single carb set-up is very straightforward apparently.

A 40% saving on cost per mile is estimated, so around 4600 miles will just about recover the cost at current fuel prices.

Most of Europe seems to have a reasonable density of LPG stations, a list may be found here: https://www.mylpg.eu/
gossamer

Post by gossamer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Any problems with insurance on a DIY kit?
To infirmary and beyond!
chippit

Post by chippit » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi,
My 2.25 1975 carawagon had a gas conversion kit on it when I bought it. I used to always start it from cold on petrol then switch and run on gas. I ran it to Oban and back on gas (1200 mile round trip) a fraction of the cost of petrol. It had 2 torpedo tanks slung under the passenger and drivers side, out of the way. The problem came when I had to renew my insurance and the insurance company asked for a gas certificate. Every thing worked fine but it did not comply with the modern regs. No EU numbers on the regulator or tanks, it didn't have an auto shut off solenoid on each tank, etc. etc. The system had been an expensive one in 1986 but did not comply with the new rules. I bought some spares from Tinley tech, they are a super company to deal with, very helpful and they know their stuff, I would definitely go to them if I were going down the gas route.

On a long run I always found it ran hot but don't know if that was the way my landy was set up, you have to carefully plan fill ups as gas stations 4/5 years ago were not everywhere and mine would not run any distance on petrol. I think the new systems automatically change the timing slightly so that you can run properly on gas and petrol.

I have removed all the gas system now and will just run on petrol when it is back on the road,it has had lots of chassis work and will have a new stainless petrol tank, ironically the old one was leaking when full. I have not had chance to use it since I rebuilt the carawagon roof...........hopefully this year.

Regards Christine
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:32 pm

G'day Matey, you say your kit does not now comply with modern regs :shrug: , what would one need to be legal if you were to sell it :wink: .

I had to ask in case you are selling the complete kit, or if it was worth my while even considering it. To be honest I love my diesels but deep down I am a real petrol head. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .