Roof plans

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
BruceB
Info: Series 3, to be converted, campervan

Roof plans

Post by BruceB » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

I have acquired a standard 6 pot petrol 109, thinking of making it into a replica vintage camper with a pop up roof as per the originals. I don't think the ply carawagon roof looks beyond my skills but I have never seen one outside pictures and live in the far north.
Is there anywhere where a plan is available, came up blank on the interweb.
I am in no hurry, the landy is going to start off with a new chassis and have a ground up rebuild probably starting in the summer.
Or, is there anyone near inverness that has one I cam measure from?
romanyrose
Info: romanyrose

Re: Roof plans

Post by romanyrose » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:37 pm

G'day matey, welcome along and i guess this will give someone a reason to travel up your end of the country, this would be a good little ride for me but unfortunately my truck is far from original.

Along with the fact she is not finished yet mine is far from how it should be, although i like the original set up my roof was one that was found so is far from how they were first made. Don't get me wrong i am not complaining and to be honest i like thing's that are different so i am a happy man.

Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi Bruce,

Carawagon roof should not e too hard to replicate, but the only thing to consider is I think the aly roof panel. I'm sure Robin has mentioned that the aluminium sheet that pops up, is of a very special sort of bendy aluminium, not produced anymore. Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The Dormobile roofs, you can still by from new. Grumpy Colin here on the forum has done just that to his 109. He lives local to me.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
BruceB

Post by BruceB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 am

I have seen information elsewhere on the forum where a replacement alloy is available for the original. In fact a complete materials list is on here somewhere.
The bit that is missing is the actual sizes and construction details, a drawing or a good look at an original is really what I need.
I did look at Dormobile roofs but to be frank they are beyond my budget, I would rather spend the money on an engine rebuild and a new chassis than a roof at the moment.
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:59 pm

G'day matey, if it is just the top you are after I have a complete one here, unfortunately for me the bellows fabric was shot so I just kept the top and the ram's/strut's.

If I am talking about the wrong type I apologize, with not having been on the forum's for a good while my excuse for a memory seems to have got worse. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
BruceB

Post by BruceB » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I assume you mean a Dormobile type roof? I am intending to build a roof and the caravanex type looks doable but I am open to suggestions if anything better comes along.
It is not clear where you are so not sure what the practicalities are about looking at and picking up a roof are. A little bit more info on what you have, where you are and how much you would want would be needed to see if anything was possible.
If it is just the fabric parts needed I am sure my other half would be able to make these while I did the rest..........
romanyrose

Post by romanyrose » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:44 pm

G'day matey, sorry I have just seen your reply, I then had a word with my lass who was not happy :shrug: . I know the Bellow's has seen better day's and the roof has been altered by me because the larger of the sky light was smashed so I bounded in an alloy section.

The section I bonded in has an extractor come blower fitted for when it is either hot or I am cooking but that's as far as I got, my health is a pain and so is a lack of fund's. If I could afford a bellow's that would make me a happy man, unfortunately for me I am not healthy and struggling a bit at the moment.

If I got a fair price for it I would let it go and fit a standard roof on again, if not I will persevere and hope that I will be able to complete the old gal sooner rather than later.

My old gal at the minute is a 24volter but fitted with a 12volt alternator separate system to power all the 12volt camping side of thing's, she is also a petrol but I have a good diesel to fit.

I have a TD motor which I love but other's say they are rubbish :shrug: , each to there own I guess but they are a tad quitter than a TDi.

Sorry for the waffling but I get carried away. Catch you later. R-Rose :tiphat: .
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Dormobile roof do come up from time to time just keep an eye open. I was lucky and got a useable one for £200 with spares