New Conversion - lots of questions...

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
CRGC

New Conversion - lots of questions...

Post by CRGC » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:18 pm

I am planning a "new" (but using a used base vehicle) Land Rover Dormobile conversion for my family and my biggest question is which LWB model to start with. My brief is the following: (i) 6 travelling (belted) seats, (ii) ability to sleep 4 (with the other two in an awning / adjacent tent), (iii) space in the rear for a gas hob and sink unit on one side and a storage locker on the other, and (iv) generally I would prioritise a modern, comfortable driving experience for a more "classic" one. I think this means I need a pre-2007 CSW with 3 seats up front and a row of three behind, the rear row converting into a double bed (rock and roll style). This is on the basis that I understand you cannot retrofit a middle front seat to a post 2007 vehicle. Alternatively, is it possible to have two seats up front, 3 behind, and a Discovery style single 3rd row seat that folds into the floor between the units at the rear? Finally, is there any advantage in a pre-2001 12 seater over a later 9 seater? I suspect not, but am new to all this so would welcome views and recommendations from the experts on this forum. Thanks.
AlexB

Re: New Conversion - lots of questions...

Post by AlexB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi and welcome

I confess, I know nothing about modern land rovers (LRCC = Land Rover Classic Campers) but what is stopping you filling your brief with a series vehicle?

My Dormobile has 6 seats (at a pinch), can sleep 2 down and 2 in the bunks, has a sink / kitchen on the near side and wardrobe on the off side.

And, I can repair it without having to plug it in !
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:34 pm

I would advise against 3 across the front row unless they are contortionists or enjoy getting intimate with a plethora of levers.... :mrgreen:

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi CRGC

Not sure a 110 can transport 6 in comfort and then be a camper. Personally I would concentrate on preparing the vehicle for traveling, fit the biggest foxwing type awning and then buy a decent tent to sleep in. Personally, I think I would buy a trailer tent and upgrade it to off road use.

We have a 1971 2a Land Rover Dormobile SW, which has the same layout as Alex. We have three seat in the front and two belted seats in the back. I regularly travel with all the seats full doing the school run, but would I want a passenger in the middle front seat if traveling long distance at motorway speeds? Not sure I would.

If you put extra seats in the rear, you will have to do without either your storage or your cooker unit. If you are normal sized adults and want a decent nights sleep, you will want a full width bed. To get a full width bed with units in the back, the bed will have to include the front seats, which will have to fold flat.

With 6 in the vehicle, there will be little room left for clothing, bedding, food, shoes, coats, chairs and table. With Dormobile roof, there is little room left for a roof rack, unless you go right to the front bumper. We have used our Dormobile with three adults and one child. It was a squeeze, with the roof rack fully loaded and every square inch of the inside used. The problem with this is, it is not fun having a vehicle fully loaded. It is hard work having to move things to make lunch or if there is a problem and you need a tool.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, I'm sure it can, but would the trip be fun or a trial of endurance?

If you want to see my Dormobile, you are very welcome to come and see how it all works.

Good Luck

Mick
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:07 am

I love our Dormobile and went for a shower still trying to figure out a solution.

Suddenly it all became clear. Simple really. You need two Dormobiles. :nana1: How cool would that be? :nana: :wine:

Look forward to seeing your convoy.

Cheers Mick
Troika

Post by Troika » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:48 am

My tuppence worth, go and look at a LWB SW without the rose tinted glasses and see just how little room there is inside, standard rear bench seat has very short seat squabs, get the kids loaded up, belts on and get them to sit quietly for 15 minutes, bet it doesn't happen?. We could only just fit in two booster seats in rear of mine for grandchildren, even this was questionable as their feet are always up against the back of front seats, which even on short trips was annoying and liable to sour the mood of all those inside the vehicle.

And forget the rear side-facing benches, it is uncomfortable and dangerous for adults, not permitted for children and by time you have installed a dog guard to restrain luggage/cargo in event of accident there is even less room.

12 seaters depending on age will bring you into another area of potential problems with insurance and licence requirements.

G.
woollen797

Post by woollen797 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm liking the get a tent or trailer tent idea as it leaves you room in Land Rover for passengers gives you a base camp to work back too and the Land Rover is free to use without packing up everything every time you want to move. Another idea is 2 roof tents as they set up very quickly.

Your biggest problem is the transporting of 6 folk and associated luggage, you should be able to make the land rover sleep 4 and a roof rack should help with some luggage.

Having driven a Land Rover with 3 in the front I can tell you it's not very pleasant on a long trip you may be able to fit a single side seat in the rear opposite the cooker / storage area the main bed will need to start at the steering wheel and come back towards the rear.

some photos inside a series 2 Dormobile to give you an idea https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=CNU393G
Dormy
Info: Sleeping on the job.....Zzzzzz

Post by Dormy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:31 am

We have done a two week UK trip with 6 travelling in the Dormobile (3 adults and 3 kids). But that was before the child seatbelt regs, as I had removed the cooker/sink and fitted a side bench seat for 2. Also, only the wife and I slept in the Dormobile, the mother in law and the kids slept in a 4 berth caravan we dragged along for the trip !

Even now with just 2 (sometimes grandson too), we often tow a small trailer just to make life easier.

I can't see 6 being a viable option in a converted vehicle. How about go for a LWB SW (110 TDI) but fit 2 forward facing seats and belts in the very back for the extra kids. Then tow a trailer with all you need there or a trailer tent. You could also fit a roof tent for when it's just the two of you (rare, I bet).

Maybe if you get a good base vehicle, keep it long term so when the kids are older and don't want to holiday with you anymore, you can adapt it then to suit just the two of you.

Ian
Jabbawocky

Post by Jabbawocky » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Until I was about 12, Mum and Dad had Type 2 orange and white VW campers. I have 4 brothers and sisters and we all used to fit in the VW. As Dad used to drive at night when we were going on holiday, Andrew and I (being the youngest) used to sleep on top of the engine, Stephen, Christine and Margaret Slept on the bed, dad and mum took it in turns to drive. We went all the way to the South of France several times like this. This was over 40 years ago, before rules.

When we got there, all us kids slept in which ever tent we owned at the time. I can remember having a standard Cabanon frame tent, a Mushroom tent (quick erect hexagon tent) and a NR Nova East German Trailer Tent. The first two had to be carried in a trailer as there was very little room in the VW with us all in there. The trailer tent had loads of storage space and towed like a dream. This tent as so good, I bought one for myself for Family holidays before I got back into Land Rovers.

Mum and Dad slept in the VW.

Worked for us.

Cheers Mick
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Personally, I think my Dormobile is fantastic

For 2

How else could I transport 50 bottles of wine back from France each visit ?