Dormobile - Porta Potti - Mod & which one.

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
Marque

Dormobile - Porta Potti - Mod & which one.

Post by Marque » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen

I am looking for advice / measurements on the Wheel Arch / Wardrobe mod to fit a Porta Potti under the wardrobe.
Any measurements images etc would be very helpful.

Also advice as to what Porta Potti to actually have. I ask as there is a early opportunity next year to get this done in anticipation of some camping. I would like to have this squared away for my 5 year old daughter.

Experience & advice very gratefully received.
Kindest regards
Mark
AlexB

Re: Dormobile - Porta Potti - Mod & which one.

Post by AlexB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:38 am

Not sure of the quickest way on this Mark
I have cut the rear tub in readiness for this and I might have pictures of previous. Will investigate and report back
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:56 am

No measurements, but you get the general drift ?

WIll do some measuring of hole and toilet and post later
Marque

Post by Marque » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:35 am

Many thanks Alex.

So in practice the entire potti comes out form underneath the wardrobe. So would I be correct in saying that the wardrobe width determines the max "cut" in the inner wing?

Kindest regards
Mark
AlexB

Post by AlexB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Marque wrote:Many thanks Alex.

So in practice the entire potti comes out form underneath the wardrobe. So would I be correct in saying that the wardrobe width determines the max "cut" in the inner wing?

Kindest regards
Mark
Not quite.
The max cut is determined by how near the rear tyre is to the "box".
My first attempt only stuck out from the wheel arch a couple of inches, but, due to flat springs, rubbed against the tyre. Once I replace the rear springs with parabolics, all was well.
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:13 pm

You cant go further back then the fuel filler. I have purchased the tray hat goes under jabbawockies wardrobe he manufactures.
Bear in mind Mark, that if you do this, you also need to alter the bottom shelf of your wardrobe as the porta pottie will stick out above the wheel box.

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:46 am

Hi Mark

As Michiel says, I'm happy to sell the alloy trays I have made to sit under my wardrobes. They are fully welded and have a 25mm lip all the way round to allow the tray to be sealed to prevent water getting in.

The trays are £40 plus postage. I have one in stock.

Cheers Mick
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Mark

Forgot to say, the trays are designed to fit a Porta Potti 35. The prefix number has changed over the years, but as far as I know they are all the same size. Numbers are 035, 135, 235 and 335.

Cheers Mick
Marque

Post by Marque » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Thank you Gentlemen
I will research. It is not an immediate mod - I need functional A B & C pillars first! That said the Porta Potti 35 would help my 5 year old enjoy her holiday next year.
Kindest regards
Mark
jonjeans
Info: jonjeans

Post by jonjeans » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 am

Hi Mark. Ref “Donkey” bulkhead, as I recall there was sufficient metal to keep her going awhile whilst you contemplate a bulkhead change? Chopping and welding will keep her going for 10 years, but is still significant work. And cost. Perhaps £350 to buy parts, chop, weld and paint, perhaps 4 days work? Bulkhead change would be about £1000.

Bulkhead changing is not as challenging as some fear, the most difficult part perhaps being the selection of supplier. And allowing for the length of time for supplier to deliver. Removal of wings and front panel as a unit, remove doors, remove windscreen (it will come out without lifting the roof), then it is electrics , cables, pedal boxes and ancillaries. Lots of pictures and a methodical approach.

My planning was as “Donkey” was originally a 2 ¼ petrol, I was considering going the galv bulkhead route as rivet counting was less important than longevity to me. Agreed that correctly rust proofed new will last your lifetime, it will still require routine maintenance. Galv is more fit and forget. Having recently changed my SWB chassis and bulkhead, am ready to answer any questions you may have.