Dormobile - Porta Potti - Mod & which one.

Anything about Classic Land Rover Campers
Marque

Re: Dormobile - Porta Potti - Mod & which one.

Post by Marque » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Cheers Jon.
My plan is to get the A pillars & driver's footwell sorted March 2016. Most parts secured already. Only top corners to procure & bolts.
Hopefully also get the rear seal & clutch replaced also March 2016
Take a call on the gearbox...rebuild 1250 + VAT when we see how the vehicle behaves in 2016.

After that the B&C pillars (frames already sourced).
Then the rear springs (replace) & axle (swap for Salisbury - already sourced) with shorter prop.
Floor stiffeners replaced at the same time.
The onto the roof.
Fit a cab heater etc. (once again when funds permit)

After that save for NOS bulkhead (NOS for 1850) & replacement chassis & plan the swap in due time.

The aim is to get the unit functional for Carolyn (who loves it by the way). A happy 4 year old loves the S2C & Steam Rally's. So camping with Dad is only held up by the weather. It has to be used. She has to have memories of fun with it. Hopefully the S2C International & LATP etc. Funds permitting.
A 3 year project at least. First year was touch & go with SWMBO, but so far the Dormobile is the best excuse for Dad & Daughter time I have come across. Keeps the wife away. One must be thankful!
Kindest regards
Mark
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Marque wrote:Take a call on the gearbox...rebuild 1250 + VAT when we see how the vehicle behaves in 2016.
:stars:
That is a bit steep... Where did you get that quote from? I had my gearbox rebuilt this year at Beaumont up North for around £500 or so. They have done a superb job. They came recommended by Rockingham Landrover in Rockingham. This is where I go for most of my stuff, questions and MOT's.

Cheers,

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Rangie

Post by Rangie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:17 pm

I had a similar experience, quoted £1100 for a Series 3 Box rebuild from R Whitehouse & Son, sod that, I'll hold it in gear! :shakehead:

It is to rebuild my spare which I had to swap-in around October last year, sometime I shall get around to taking the top off a look.... :mrgreen:

Alec.
1972 109 Rover 11 Marshall Ambulance (Camper conversion)
1972 109 LD28 (Quick-change camper and Bothying vehicle!)
1988 RRC 4JB1T (Daily Driver)

Pressure Stove and Lamp fanatic also.
Marque

Post by Marque » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Thank you Michiel.
The quote was from R Whitehouse & Son. Top blokes I might say. Steep I agree, but then I had no other quality alternative. Now that you have kindly suggested Rockingham. Then I will investigate them when the opportunity is available.
Many thanks indeed for the suggestion.
Kindest regards and safe travels.
Mark
DrivingDutchman

Post by DrivingDutchman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:07 am

hi Mark,

No probs. Rockingham rocks for landrovers. Talk to Ray, the owner, a top bloke and knows his series stuff. He recomended Beaumonts to me. Rockingham themselves don't rebuilt gearboxes. But they ate very good with repairs and all the other stuff. The mechanics that work there are all realy good. Plus... Ray loves Dormobiles... Nuf said me thinks... :cheers:

Michiel
1969 109 sw dormobile Dora
1996 overland defender sw 110 Nellie
1962 109 sw safari diesel Hannie (sold)
1973 88 series 3 soft top in various bits on the drive...
Jabbawocky
Info: Barney the Dormobile

Post by Jabbawocky » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Mark

I rebuild my own Series boxes, but have a bit to do with Beaumonts regarding other LR gearboxes. When i decided to fit the SL35 into my Dormobile, I had a long chat with David Beaumont regarding what would be the best box to cope with the extra torque and decided to let them build the gearbox to David's specification. I fitted the LT77S to a Series transfer box I rebuilt using the Ashcroft Conversion and fitted it all last April. So far, all is well, but only done about 6000 miles so far.

David is supposed to be taking a back seat now and his son Nick runs the business. Great folk to deal with in person.

Cheers Mick